PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing the desktop environment

awregan
June 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about changing my ubuntu desktop environment from gnome to something lighter like flux box or xfce but my previous experiences tell me to be careful. A few years from now I tried to change to xfce, and I was able make my whole system unusable.

So, what are your thoughts about it. Does it worth the risk. How straight forward it is nowadays. What would I lose by making the transition?

ajgreeny
June 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Just try it with synaptic or apt-get. You can easily get xfce by using command
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktopto get xubuntu installed alongside ubuntu, but fluxbox is a window manager not really a different desktop environment, as far as I am aware.

I have never tried it with xfce (xubuntu), but have certainly added kde (kubuntu-desktop) to a straight ubuntu system with no real problems other than rather untidy menus in both. The menus can be edited easily so it is not really a big problem.

XubuRoxMySox
June 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
If it's really lightweight you're looking for, have a look at LXDE (http://lxde.org)! It's super-simple, gorgeous, versatile, and even lighter weight than Xfce.

Installable from Ubuntu repositories via Synaptic, and just as easily removed if you don't like it.

It makes Ubuntu Jaunty much faster on my system, too. Have a look at the web site for info and screen shots (that wallpaper can easily be changed as well).

-Robin