PDA

View Full Version : any good books on software engineering.

hockey97
June 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi, I am going to go to the library this weekend. I want to check out books that will help me learn about anything about computer engineering.

I really want to master programming to write clean and less buggy code. I also do want to learn how to neatly create scripts. This also means how to create classes and when to use them.

I am still not 100% sure on why we use classes I do know how they function and I do use them at times but I commonly use it to seperate code.

So like one file will contain code for a login system and then another file contains code of a database managment code.

I later on include those code to a main file that will contain the code to run the program. I just use this way to make things neat. I would know where exactly each code for what is located in what file. In those files I do have classes which is reuseable. I mean like for example doing a query for a database look up. I have a class for that so that I don't have to write alot of code. I can just use a class and reuse it for different lookups in the database.

I still want to learn really why we use it and examples of classes used.
I was thinking to get a book on something like this. On the internet I don't get a good explanation nore examples. I find sites that just say well classes are used for reusable code for example a car. I mean I do understand that all cars have a motor,doors,wheels,speed,acceleration.

That car example does show that classes are used for code that have common functions but differ in values. So the color of a car can be black,orange,green etc. But the color will still be ontop of the body on the car.

So I am just guessing that classes are used for codes or scripts that you can have the same functions for an object but have different values.

For that query example I mean the sql code will be the same no matter what but the values like the data table and the records names etc will be different.

Yet I found other sites saying that classes are used for just organizing code.

So that you have objects and those objects would be like a car, a airplane. Under those classes you will have functions and variables related to jus that object.

So when you make the main script the running of the program you can include those classes and then use logic to run those functions. I was told it makes things neater. So when you need to make any modifications you just add the code to those classes.

So I would like to know what you guys suggest is a good book to read on anything related to programming.

I would also love to learn assembly and hardware programming.

Thanks for your time.

CptPicard
June 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hmm.. your hunches about classes are actually rather correct (excluding the "just for organizing code" parts).

One approach you may want to take with this is to consider the concept of a "type system". A class is a kind of programmer-created type.

As you know, in your programming language you have, for example, integers and floating point numbers. Individual instances of these numbers are objects of their particular type. "Integer" is a class, which has, for example, the addition operation defined on it. So is "Float" -- they are, if you will, subclasses of some abstract numeric type. However, the addition operation behaves differently for both types of numbers...

NielsBhor
June 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Computer Engineering and Software Engineering are two separate majors. One is the study of computer software, and the other is the study of computer hardware.

You mentioned something about computer engineering. Since I am a computer engineer, I'll tell you a little about it if you like to know. The computer engineer is primarily responsible for the operation of transistors, semiconductors in the computer. They learn how to synthesize a chip package using different layers transistors using either MOSFETS, or BJTs. They also learn circuits theory as well.

A computer engineer will need to learn a some programming language, but, not as in depth to their software engineering or computer science counterparts. Why do computer engineers needs to learn about electronic circuits. They need to understand the flow of electrons from the devices. This is essential for signal processing, and connecting the semiconductor together onto the PCB board.

A computer engineer requires 4 years of college. Vigorous course in Classical Physics, Calculus, Differential Equations, Circuit Theory, Communication Theory (deals with waves), Random Noise and Probabilities, C/C++ Programming, Embedded Systems, Signal Processing, CMOS VLSI Design.

You may want to check out the MIT OpenCourseWare to learn more about computer engineering. They also have coursebooks that may want to read if you're interested. And, labs are also important in the process of understanding how to measure electron flow.

hockey97
August 8th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Computer Engineering and Software Engineering are two separate majors. One is the study of computer software, and the other is the study of computer hardware.

You mentioned something about computer engineering. Since I am a computer engineer, I'll tell you a little about it if you like to know. The computer engineer is primarily responsible for the operation of transistors, semiconductors in the computer. They learn how to synthesize a chip package using different layers transistors using either MOSFETS, or BJTs. They also learn circuits theory as well.

A computer engineer will need to learn a some programming language, but, not as in depth to their software engineering or computer science counterparts. Why do computer engineers needs to learn about electronic circuits. They need to understand the flow of electrons from the devices. This is essential for signal processing, and connecting the semiconductor together onto the PCB board.

A computer engineer requires 4 years of college. Vigorous course in Classical Physics, Calculus, Differential Equations, Circuit Theory, Communication Theory (deals with waves), Random Noise and Probabilities, C/C++ Programming, Embedded Systems, Signal Processing, CMOS VLSI Design.

You may want to check out the MIT OpenCourseWare to learn more about computer engineering. They also have coursebooks that may want to read if you're interested. And, labs are also important in the process of understanding how to measure electron flow.

Well, I want to learn these topics on my own time. I might take a look at mit.

I am interested in both I do know what they are and know they are 2 different areas. I think if your both a computer engineer and a software engineer then in theory you can build your own computer or any eletronic devices.

I am in college currently I am finishing up my 2nd year and transfering to a 4 year college to get a bach.

I am majoring in accounting and am thinking to take 4 more classes to get at least a 2 year degree in finance.

I don't highly love the subject. I think it's boring type jobs. I talked to one professor that is a business major and owns her own business.
Her husband was an accountant. He liked it for like 1 year then the 2nd year he got depressed. He said it's a boring job. He walks in and sits in a cubical calculating all the math and create finical statements. He went back to college and got into finance and he said that he is happy with that. Like he flys all over the world doing nothing but figuring out if their companies investment has good value.

I don't really like to be an accountant. I thought if I learned how to program and make my own software and hardware devices I can combine those talents and do something of my own.

I really wanted to get into computer science but my dad disagreed. He has no interest in it. He really hates seeing anyone playing video games. I mean when I played xbox in front of him he would yell at me saying why do you have fun at looking at nothing but images. My dad also told me that IT or computer science jobs are too competitive and their is no jobs because it's too crowded of a job market. He said that you have to be the best of the best to get just a basic job in IT or computer science since he knows a few programmers and computer engineers. They are now jobless.

Computer science and also physics/Nasa science is in my main interest.

I love studying about space/physics/computers. I mean I never liked math until I started learning some programming. I learned c/c++ and html/css/php/mysql.

I am still not an expert at it but could say I am average in it. I think if I study more or higher math I could get better at it.

I am trying to look for books I can look at that will teach me hardware engineering of the computer and software engineering.

I would like to learn higher math. I don't want to take college classes.
Over here the classes really suck. Teachers have less time to spend time with you and in tutoring sessions the people are their just to college paychecks. The college will pay you as a student that will tutor other students. So students usally would hit at the tutor table and have a laptop out to listen to music or go on facebook etc. They have little interest in helping other students. Some of them can't even help but they got the gpa and the grades to sit their.

So I want to learn what professionals should know. I thought if I take it at my own pace I can do a better job on trying to master the area.

I want to know if I can get some good books from the local libary to learn these subjects. I know it can just be one book. I just thought it's better for me to learn this subject at my own pace.

kenbarls
March 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Well, I am also want to learn about computer engineering. I hope I will not fail with every quiz that will professor give.

rg4w
March 4th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Steven McConnell's "Code Complete" and "Rapid Development" provide excellent background on code style and project management that may be very helpful.