PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems Installing Ubuntu

RandomDinosaur
June 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hi all

Me and my friend are trying to install ubuntu on his computer. He recently got it off of his aunt, and it needs an operating system. However, whenever we try to boot it up from a ubuntu cd, it tries to get us to insert a windows xp install disc. This is about step 4 of the xp install, but we don't want to install it at all. I have tried a load of settings in F2 setup, but it still hasn't done anything.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

halitech
June 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
doesn't sound like it is booting from the ubuntu cd. Have you checked in the BIOS to confirm it is booting from the cd first?

QIII
June 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
By F2, I assume you are talking about getting into the BIOS and setting the boot order of your devices?

Bölvağur
June 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Assuming you mean F2 is the bios, then make sure you change the boot order to have the correct cd drive above the hard drive and save it. It can be done by moving the hard drive down to the bottom.
If there is a problem with the cd drive then you might gain from making a live cd image on a usb stick which you would then boot from (you can think of this as a backup plan).

Also you could unplug the power cord to the hard disk drive while you try to get into ubuntu's live cd. You will not need to plug it in until you want to install, but any time after the bios has initiated the live cd it should be.... wait.. Im not sure if it is wise to unplug that cord... oh god... -.- Well you can unplug it to check if you can boot form the cd at all or not.