PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] re-size folders?

Paul T.
June 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM
According to disk usage analyser, my 'home' folder is already 71% full, and I still have more music/video files to load, there's 20+ Gb of space available, how do I resize space allocated to folders? (See attatched screen shot)

Paul.

kttyshadow5
June 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The best I could find for you is this http://www.go2linux.org/how-to-move-home-directory-to-another-partition
It looks like you might have to give your home folder its own partition... :-k

Paul T.
June 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Not sure if I can create another partition, already have 5 partitions + 1 hidden recovery partition. (EeePC904 with XP) :confused:

mcduck
June 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
According to disk usage analyser, my 'home' folder is already 71% full, and I still have more music/video files to load, there's 20+ Gb of space available, how do I resize space allocated to folders? (See attatched screen shot)

Paul.

That is not telling that your /home would be 71% full. It's telling that 71% of used disk space is used by /home.

Directories don't have any size limit (at least by default) , so unless your /home is located on separate partition the amount of space available there is the same as in any other directory. Which is the size of the partition.

edit: Actually, if you look at your screenshot you can see the text: "Total filesystem capacity: 31.8GB (Used: 7.6GB available: 24.3GB)". And the reported disk usage for your /home is 5.3GB, which is 71% of the total 7.6GB of used disk space.

Paul T.
June 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
That is not telling that your /home would be 71% full. It's telling that 71% of used disk space is used by /home.

Directories don't have any size limit (at elast by default) , so unless your /home is located on separate partition the amount of space available there is the same as in any other directory. Which is the size of the partition.

edit: Actually, if you look at your screenshot you can see the text: "Total filesystem capacity: 31.8GB (Used: 7.6GB available: 24.3GB)". And the reported disk usage for your /home is 5.3GB, which is 71% of the total 7.6GB of used disk space.

Ahh I see now, thx for that info, much appreciated. :D