PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone "Holsters" -- Warning: Poll Enclosed

Therion
June 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
The cell-phone "holster" (pic is but one example).

Necessity of modern living or... Hangin' offense?

HappyFeet
June 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
The cell-phone "holster" (pic is but one example).

Necessity of modern living or... Hangin' offense?

I say necessity. Or sometimes I'll just shove it in my pocket.

Therion
June 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
What pic?
Pic is up. Cut me some slack, I'm still on my first cup here...

*rubs eye's*

.Maleficus.
June 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Necessity? No. I use one at work but otherwise it just ends up in my pocket.

subdivision
June 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I use one mostly so my keys don't scratch up my cell phone in my pocket.

stuart.reinke
June 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Gotta put it on the belt. It's uncomfortable in my jeans pocket, and falls out of my shirt pocket.

Interesting poll by the way.

MikeTheC
June 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I used one regularly for my Samsung M610, and I use a different kind of one for my Pre.

As far as I'm concerned, when you're out and about, it's an absolute necessity.

Besides, to me it says "I use Ubuntu and you don't." :p

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
It depends. If it's a flip phone, then no. If it's open faced,(iPhone) then it's an absolute necessity.

Dharmachakra
June 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Well, a good chunk of the users here probably have no sense of their personal appearance, so they'll use one. I choose not to.

MickS
June 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I've got one, I Keep my spectacles in it.

Mick

H2SO_four
June 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Cell phone holster is the new pocket protector!

Sand & Mercury
June 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't use a holster because I don't want to look like a dork, and my pocket is just fine.

mr.propre
June 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I used to keep it in my pocket, but today i keep it in my laptop bag, far away from my testicles. It's a sad fact that the most common form of cancer for men is testicular cancer.

KOld Iron
June 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I simply can't stand holsters.

Either the phone is flat enough to fit into the pockets of my pants or I won't use it.

Muffinabus
June 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm too young and self conscious to wear a cell phone holster, ha. It goes in my pocket, I've a razr 2 though, so it's pretty thin and I barely notice it, even if it's vibrating.

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, a good chunk of the users here probably have no sense of their personal appearance, so they'll use one. I choose not to.

Do you have some kind of data to back this up, or are you just making sweeping generalizations.

gn2
June 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM
My phone fits neatly in my pocket.

The only thing more dorky than a holster is a bluetooth headset.

Nothing looks quite as hilarious as someone walking along in a public place having a heated exchange apparently with themself.

Dharmachakra
June 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Do you have some kind of data to back this up, or are you just making sweeping generalizations.

That's why I used the word "probably". It's a sweeping generalization. Calm down.

Vostrocity
June 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
How am I supposed to wear a holster if I don't tuck in my shirt?! :o

Ms_Angel_D
June 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Well being a woman I have a whole bag to carry my cell phone in so there's really no need for one....lol.

drawkcab
June 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cell phone holster is the new pocket protector!

correct

drawkcab
June 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Well being a woman I have a whole bag to carry my cell phone in so there's really no need for one....lol.

Never underestimate the man-purse!

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/covert-messenger.jpg

lisati
June 18th, 2009, 01:34 AM
My previous phone, since "inherited" by Mrs Lisati, has a cover with a belt clip. I never used the belt clip, since the phone had an unfortunate habit of falling off at the "wrong" moment (getting out of cars etc). I have a camera case that I used to use for another phone that I've since disposed of. These days I generally keep my phone in my jacket pocket.

Therion
June 18th, 2009, 05:06 AM
You can't imagine the amount of discussion and heated debate the cell phone holster has caused in my workplace...

I swear the place is an asylum.

beefncheese
June 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I would totally wear a cell phone holster if they made cell phones that had a trigger guard and motion activation, so you had to draw it out and twirl it like a pistol before answering. That would be fun.

ZackM
June 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I use this thing called a pocket... In my jeans... Lol

SuperSonic4
June 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Use a pocket for Pete's sate :rolleyes:. Seriously, you may as well have a notice on your back saying "Phone this way -> Free to first pickpocket"

jomiolto
June 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nothing looks quite as hilarious as someone walking along in a public place having a heated exchange apparently with themself.

Nah, I think it's brilliant! Now you can walk in public, having a heated debate with yourself, and everyone just thinks that you have a wireless headset, instead of thinking that you're barmy.

As for the holsters: nuh-uh. I don't like wearing belts and I think a holster pretty much requires one? I either keep my phone in a pocket or in my backpack -- if I remember to take my phone with me, that is :P

donkyhotay
June 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't even own a cell phone right now.

H2SO_four
June 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
You can't imagine the amount of discussion and heated debate the cell phone holster has caused in my workplace...

I swear the place is an asylum.

Thats right! Cell phone users are crazy!

sgosnell
June 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The poll is flawed. It's neither, somewhere in the middle in most cases. Using a holster or something similar makes sense in some cases, if you have to wear clothes without pockets or work in an environment where the phone can be crushed in a pocket. I used to use one, when I wore a uniform that had few pockets and most of my time was sitting in a cockpit where the phone would be mashed in my pocket, while causing me pain. Now I wear a flightsuit with 10 or 12 pockets, so I put them (I have to carry a work phone in addition to my personal phone) in one of those. Off work, I usually use a pocket, because I haven't bothered to buy another holster that fits the phone I have now. There are lots of situations that most of you simply haven't encountered. Don't judge others by your (perhaps limited) experience. There are places for holsters, even if they don't have one in your world.

starcannon
June 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM
My phone is small enough that it fits perfectly in the "pocket watch pocket" on Levi 501's and most cuts of Wranglers, so for me its a non-essential utility belt add-on. That said, if my phone would not fit in the afore mentioned pocket, I would carry it on my belt; I have broken a couple cell phones by having them in my back or front pocket; sit/fall on it, or leaning over with the wieght of my body coming down on one, either way they ring their last.

ljd48590
June 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I used one regularly for my Samsung M610, and I use a different kind of one for my Pre.

As far as I'm concerned, when you're out and about, it's an absolute necessity.

Besides, to me it says "I use Ubuntu and you don't." :p

dude you have a pre seriously?

Chilli Bob
June 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Seriously, do they still make those things? I haven't seen anyone use one of those for at least 3 or 4 years.

caravel
June 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Seriously, do they still make those things? I haven't seen anyone use one of those for at least 3 or 4 years.
+1

Most phones are slim enough to fit in your pocket these days. Also if your phone is getting scratched by keys then put it in your other pocket. There is no longer any excuse for belt strap cases these days. They're on the same level as those fools that seem to have a bluetooth headset welded to their ears.

Paqman
June 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I think you get them free when you buy a matching set of sandals and socks.

t0p
June 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
When I wear a coat or jacket, my phone goes in my coat/jacket pocket. If I'm not wearing a coat or jacket (nice summer's days for instance) I have my phone on a rope, hanging round my neck (my phone has a little metal loop on the bottom, apparently designed for this very purpose).