PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Truecrypt 6.2a in Ubuntu 9.10

Chris62
June 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help with this, please? I was trying to install Truecrypt V6.2a into the current version of Ubuntu. As I have not much experience with this sort of thing I followed a method for installing Truecrypt 4.x into Ubuntu 7.10 that I found in an Ubuntu forum thinking that the method would be the same and that only the file names needed changing.

After downloading 'truecrypt-6,2a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz'which the web site said would contain a .deb file, I typed 'sudo tar xzvf truecrypt-6.2a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz' and ended up with a file called 'truecrypt-6.2a-setup-ubuntu-x86' instead of a .deb file as per the method.

Apart from the fact that this file seems to have drifted off into cyberspace, what should I do with it to install Truecrypt when I run the 'sudo tar' command again?

Any help would be gratefully received

Chris

Soul-Sing
June 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
sudo sh directory/to/truecrypt-<version>-setup-ubuntu-<architekture>
watch the - syntax, then your going into a set-up proces.

Chris62
June 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks leoquant,

I have another problem. I get a message saying "can't open truecrypt....."

I am not very experienced with Linux so perhaps I have not understood your code. What does 'sh' do? and where you have 'directory' should I specify a directory where Truecrypt is to go or should I just type the line as you have put it?

Sorry if I seem exceptionally dim!

Soul-Sing
June 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I think, but i'am not sure though:
1) put the file on your desktop
2)
cd Desktop
3)
sudo sh truecrypt-<version>-setup-ubuntu-<architekture>
will do

sudo is needed in linux, no program can be installed without sudo.
sh is needed to šexecuteš the installproces.

Chris62
June 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hello leoquant, many thanks for your help. Truecrypt is now installed. The problem was that I had expected the file to be extracted onto the desktop but it wasn't and that is why I was getting the error message saying that it didn't exist..

One last question: how do I alter the properties of Truecrypt so that I don't have to give an administrator password every time I want to use it?
It is no hardship to do that but as I am the only person to use the computer it seems a bit pointless to have to enter my password every time

Soul-Sing
June 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hmmm you can add truecrypt to "users-groups"
and add: %truecrypt ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/truecrypt
to the sudoers folder via
sudo visudo

But truecrypt can now be used without any (sudo) permission.....
and data can be easily destroyed, is this a wise/good thing to do?

Chris62
June 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Many thanks again leoquant. All is as I want it now. I see you are located in Amsterdam - what a lovely place it is! I was there a couple of years ago.

Chris

Soul-Sing
June 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Good luck and success with ubuntu, (and truecrypt)

mwjones
October 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I received the following error trying to use the graphical installer:

dpkg: unable to read filedescriptor flags for <package status and progress file descriptor>: Bad file descriptor

Instead, just select Extract .deb Package File, then:

cd /tmp
sudo dpkg -i truecrypt_6.2a-0_i386.deb

benab
November 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I was able to install Truecrypt 6.3 on Ubuntu 9.10 without any problem.
It did not prompt for any dependencies.

I extracted 'truecrypt-6.3-setup-ubuntu-x86' from the 'truecrypt-6.3-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz' file and then executed:

sudo ./truecrypt-6.3-setup-ubuntu-x86

It prompted me to agree to the agreement and install without any problems.