PDA

View Full Version : Disney's makes a kids' netbook...

Sporkman
June 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Disney's Netbook Foray

Elizabeth Woyke, 06.16.09, 04:45 PM EDT
Entertainment giant teams up with Asus to create kids' netbook.

Netbooks have always had kid appeal, from their small size to their low prices. A new collaboration between Disney and Taiwanese manufacturer Asus aims to make the lightweight, pared-down laptops even more kid-friendly.

The two companies are debuting a new kind of netbook called a Netpal. Geared toward users aged 6 to 12, the $349 Netpal resembles Asus' popular Eee PC netbooks, but runs software designed specifically for children. The gadget, which will go on sale at the end of July in 21 countries across Asia, Europe and North America, is meant to be safe, fun and easy, says Asus spokeswoman Debby Lee.

The Netpal runs Windows XP operating system and Asus' uncomplicated Eee PC software, but it features a Disney-customized "skin" on top...

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/16/disney-netbook-asus-technology-personal-tech-disney.html?feed=rss_technology

CharmyBee
June 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Will it boot up to the Jonas Brothers?

drawkcab
June 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/netpal(2).jpg]

Disney Netpal by ASUS MK90 (exclusively at Toys “R” Us)

* Operating System Genuine Windows
* 8.9” LED-backlit WSVGA screen (1024×600)
* Intel ATOM N270
* 802.11 b/g/n
* DDR2 SO-DIMM 1GB
* Storage 16GB SSD
* Interface 1 x VGA port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor); 3 x USB 2.0 ports; 1 x LAN RJ-45; 2 x audio jacks: Headphone / Mic-in
* Camera: 0.3 M Pixel
* Reader MMC and SD (SDHC supported)
* Audio: Hi-definition audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speakers; Analog Mic
* Battery: 4200mAh Polymer, 5hrs
* Dimensions: 248mm (W) x 173mm (D) x 28.7mm (H)
* Weight: 1kg with battery
* Casing Colors: Princess Pink, Magic Blue

Disney Netpal by ASUS MK90H

* XP Home Genuine Windows XP Home
* 8.9” LED-backlit WSVGA screen (1024×600)
* Intel® ATOM N270
* 802.11 b/g/n
* DDR2 SO-DIMM 1GB
* 160GB HDD
* 1 x VGA port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor); 3 x USB 2.0 ports; 1 x LAN RJ-45; 2 x audio jacks: Headphone / Mic-in
* Camera: 0.3 M Pixel
* MMC and SD (SDHC supported)
* Audio: Hi-definition audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speakers; Analog Mic
* Battery: 4200mAh Polymer, 5hrs
* 248mm (W) x 173mm (D) x 28.7mm (H)
* 1.2kg with battery
* Casing Colors: Princess Pink, Magic Blue

Dragonbite
June 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Except for the fancy covering, is there anything different than existing Asus netbooks?

I best not show this to my daughter. She's been using my laptop and now wants one of her own.. except smaller... and pink.

dragos240
June 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Except for the fancy covering, is there anything different than existing Asus netbooks?

I best not show this to my daughter. She's been using my laptop and now wants one of her own.. except smaller... and pink.

It said it came with winxp and software for children, so other than those features, nope.

pwnst*r
June 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Will it boot up to the Jonas Brothers?

lol

Technoviking
June 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
itsbetterwithmickey.com :)

Truly an epic fail.

Dragonbite
June 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
It said it came with winxp and software for children, so other than those features, nope.

So far the kids are happy with the games that came with Edubuntu, plus Flash-based online games. Plus it is easier to maintain, can update it just about every 6 months and is more secure from virii when they go online.

Looks like matte Dell grey is what they're getting! ;)