PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 30 or 40 GB installation of 9.04

jhmac77
June 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
How do you make a large 30 or 40 GB install of ubuntu 9.04?
All I can get is 2.4 or about 10 GB which are too small.
Manual install always calls for "define root" which I have never figured out and no one gave me an answer to that.

Please don't give me incomplete answers or ones I don't under stand because that is all SPAM!

overdrank
June 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
If you have window os on the drive also you may have to defrag a couple of times. If it is windows vista you may have to use the partition manager in vista to resize.
To define root you will use / symbol.
Hope this is not spam or I will have to delete my own post.
Also this is a good link on Partitioning basics (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018)

jhmac77
June 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Specifically how do you use "/" to define root. Where do you put it and with what other information? It just leaves a message that the root needs to be defined with no instructions!

By the way I tried to install 9.04 in a very empty and rather new hard drive and I could only get 2.5 GB of space. It takes many hours to defrag even a rather empty but 320GB drive. I got two options for my smaller(250) and more full drive: 2.5 GB and about 10 GB.

One use to be able to repartition for earlier Ubuntu editions(7.10 for example).

Working with Ubuntu is very frustrating.

Idefix82
June 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Can we have some more specific info? Is the drive onto which you want to install Ubuntu empty? If not, what else is on it?

So are newbies who come here for help and are aggressive from the outset towards the people who are trying to help. And by the way, you may define SPAM to be things you don't understand (a very very questionable definition) but I call the above remark spam.

Idefix82
June 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hope this is not spam or I will have to delete my own post.

Judging by the reply below, you had better delete your own post quickly, or somebody will report it as spam :)

overdrank
June 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Specifically how do you use "/" to define root. Where do you put it and with what other information? It just leaves a message that the root needs to be defined with no instructions!

By the way I tried to install 9.04 in a very empty and rather new hard drive and I could only get 2.5 GB of space. It takes many hours to defrag even a rather empty but 320GB drive. I got two options for my smaller(250) and more full drive: 2.5 GB and about 10 GB.

One use to be able to repartition for earlier Ubuntu editions(7.10 for example).

If you select manual partition during the install, you can create partition there. When you select edit partition then you will be given the choices to size and mount point. Then you can enter the mount point / .

jhmac77
June 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
????????????? mount point was not mentioned nor was size nor was partitioning there. just ask to define root. How and where does one define root. Window XP.

overdrank
June 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM
????????????? mount point was not mentioned nor was size nor was partitioning there. just ask to define root. How and where does one define root. Window XP.

How are you installing Ubuntu?
During the installation you should be given a screen like the one I have attached. Then you may choose manual for partitioning.
Sorry for the late reply.