PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't boot from CD on Toshiba laptop

dominican_dutchboy
June 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu 9.04 on my toshiba laptop. I decided to do this because when I try to start my laptop it gives me an error saying that Windows failed to start...
So i figured i would give ubuntu a shot. I burned the CD and everything (correctly, this is not the first computer i've installed ubuntu on) and popped it in. However, when i turn on the toshiba i can't access any setup or boot menu. It tells me to press F2 to access setup and F12 to access boot device menu but neither work. No matter what I do, every time it just goes right to the error message.
Here's the error message in case it helps.
File: /Windows/system32/winload.exe
Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
Any help would be amazing!

lisati
June 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
It is odd that receive a Windows error message. On my current Toshiba laptop pressing F12 while the Toshiba logo is displayed results in a menu which lets me boot from CD/DVD, and another Toshiba laptop that I recently gave away had a similar arrangement.

What model Toshiba laptop do you have? There are a few of us here at the forums who use Toshiba laptops, and if I can't think of something, perhaps another Toshiba user will be able to suggest something.

travisrichardson1980
June 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
my wife has a toshiba, and occasionally it gives me some problems when trying to boot to a cd.

first, lets take the cd out and leave it out for the moment.

then power on the computer and repeatedly press the f12 button

if the boot selection menu does not come up, you may have a bigger problem on your hands, because the keyboard appears not to be working.

perhaps plug in an external keyboard and try again with F12

if it fails again try F2 to get in to the setup, and set the cdrom as the first boot device

if the computer will not respond to F2 nor F12 with either keyboard, and you can't boot to the hard drive due to windows corruption, it's pretty much the end of the line, unless you remove the hard drive, install ubuntu on it through another computer, and put it back in. it'll work, but it takes some hardware/install skill.

good luck!!!

dominican_dutchboy
June 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm certain the keyboard works because when I turn it on and the toshiba logo is showing I can press ESC to get to the BIOS, but then it moves right through that and goes to the error message.
Any other suggestions? Otherwise, how would I go about installing it on the hard drive through another computer?