PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty works fine untill it freezes with white and blue screen

AmsterdamMack
June 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and not so sure if I'm in the right thread - so please feel free to move this to a better location :-)

First my hardware:
AMD Athlon 2650e 2.26.1 Ubuntu 2009-05-06 Kernel: 2.6.28.113-generic 1GB RAM (64% Free) Geforce 6150SE nforce 430

When I tried to install ubuntu 8.10, I had exactly the same kind of crashes that I experience now. The screen went white and blue and I can not get any access anymore. No other control no x-server restart - completely frozen. With a bit of research (I was thinking about the combi AMD / nvidia onboard) I found a thread that helped me.

The only thing I had to adjust to make 8.10 work, was removing powernod in synaptics and the machine was running without any problem for months and months.

Now after upgrading to Jaunty the machine freezes again and I don't know why. :-(
Sometimes I can boot and work for hours sometimes it freezes during boot, sometimes while surfing. :-|

I'm a newbie and need some help. What files could give me an idea to find out what's going wrong here?

Thank you very much in advance!

McMack

AmsterdamMack
June 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi,

I switched off every powersaving related thing available from GUI side. Screensaver on black no Open GL. Compiz off. NVIDIA driver switched off. Udate done.

I was using lst.fm to monitor how long the uptime would be ;-)
PC was running from 11 last night till this morning 7.15 but than again totally frozen. Arghh

Anyone more ideas?

McMack

metiosarius
June 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Have you tried removing the program/line/etc. that you removed in the previous version that fixed the problem?

AmsterdamMack
June 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hi metiosrius,

thank you for your response. That was my first thought too, but the POWERNOW package was not installed with the upgrade.

McMack

AmsterdamMack
July 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Mhh - I don't have any evidence, but since I changed the amarok setting to not automatically scan folders for changes it seems to be ok...
So maybe only the collectionscanner stumbled over some faulty mp3's or so.

McMack :D