PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatic random shifting of cursor while typing

sonikshah
June 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I am facing this weird problem in my Ubuntu installation where my cursor position suddenly changes to somewhere else while I'm typing. Sometimes the position would change to some other text box in the same window, or sometimes it will end up in some completely different application that's running in background. This issue is not application specific. Please let me know if anyone would require any further information about the issue to be able to guide to me to a resolution.

Paqman
June 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
This is a laptop yes?

If so, make sure nothing is touching the trackpad while you're typing (including sleeves, bracelets, etc)

prvteprts
June 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
This is a laptop yes?

If so, make sure nothing is touching the trackpad while you're typing (including sleeves, bracelets, etc)

+1

Lol. Happens to me all the time, so I just disable the trackpad when I can.

alokmahor
April 30th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I also have same problem since ubuntu 11.04
most of time my pointer's position changes to any random position itself. and sometime content of last copied lined get paste itself at current position. this spoils my text, I have to undo every time.
I am very sure that I dont touch my touchpad.
what can be wrong ? please suggest

Jason Kuzhively
April 30th, 2013, 05:03 PM
This problem is there for Windows too. So we can't blame Ubuntu. I have this bug or whatever it is and I'm on a desktop. :(

alhefner
April 30th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I find that it happens to me too. What I found is related to the cursor position at the time it happens. Depending on what I am doing at the keyboard, the system may take the cursor position, via mouse or trackball, and try to use that position to perform the task instead of last real cursor position... so, if I'm typing in a text area, the system may suddenly jump to a position that the mouse or trackball is at and do all sorts of strange things including deleting text, inserting at the wrong place, or even switching windows.

The only "fix" I found is to intentionally move the pointer to a position such as the top bar or something while I type...

oldos2er
April 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.