PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can anybody please show me the way? <- newbie

richardHaw
June 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
well...
i would like to apologise for starting a thread just for me,but i just have too many questions.

i have always wanted to use linux on my laptop but i just dont have anybody to help me...

is it ok for me to start such a thread? thanks...

pbpersson
June 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
You would need to send us a list of questions so we can point you in the correct direction to find the answers

swoody
June 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi richardHaw, and Welcome to the Forums ):P

Yes, you may accomplish much more if you had some concrete questions we could help you out with. Did you have questions about some specific hardware capaitibility for your laptop? Were there questions you had regarding installation?

There is a *lot* of info out there, so if you're just trying to learn a little bit before you delve into Linux, I'd recommend Google first and foremost. Try searching for "Ubuntu laptop", and read through what comes up. I'd also recommend checking out the two links in my signature. The first one is to a page with LOTS of links and information to help answer many, many questions that you may have. The second is a link to a free Ubuntu Beginner's Guide. I'd highly advise you to download a copy and read it over. It has a plethora of great information that will help you along in your new journey into Ubuntu!

Again, welcome to the forums, and if you have any issues or questions that come up, please feel free to ask :D

jmszr
June 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
richardHaw,

Welcome aboard!

As pbpersson indicated, we need something to work with.

I would like to suggest this sticky by ugm6hr: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404 . It is full of links to good information, I would suggest that the Free Ubuntu Pocket Guide by Keir Thomas and the Psychocats Ubuntu Guide are good places to get started.

Viva
June 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
You'll get all the help you need here:popcorn:

lisati
June 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the forums.
We have a wide range of expertise and experience with a wide range of hardware and software here at the forums: feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts. As others have said, if you have a question about something more specific, fire away with the questions!

theozzlives
June 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Welcome,
It's perfectly fine to make a Thread just for you (most of us do). By posting a question and getting a resolve, you may be helping someone else with the same question. However, we have to know what your issues are. If you create a numbered list, different people can answer by number thus avoiding confusion.

I hope we can help you get Ubuntu running soon, you're gonna love it.

richardHaw
June 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
thank you very much. your repies are very encouraging!

sorry,for not asking a question from the start...i plan to ask after i got the go signal hahaha

ok,so...i have been reading a bit about ubuntu,but i just dont have the technical background to understand some of the literature. but i am VERY pleased to know that ubuntu has freewares that can allow me to edit my RAW files shot from my camera and do some post editing in GIMP,its no photoshop,but its free...

i may need to ask questions one at a time...

1st is,what file system should i use for ubuntu?
i have a HDD w 2 partitions...one for my main windows boot and another for a "backup".

so,can i just format my boot partition and install ubuntu there via CD(made from downloading that BIG .iso file)

i am also aware of different buntu's...my work primarily deals with phot editing and 3d applications. so,which ubuntu OS is most suited for this? i may suggest to the technical guys to have ubuntu integrated into the pipeline later on for the very reason that ubuntu is free. and i am sure that there are free 3d softwares for this as well(wings3d? blender?) but this is a totally different question and we are straying too far hahaha

thank you very much again. i hope that i can contribute to this community in the future in what ever means,monetary or otherwise

super kim
June 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hi there, i'm not an expert in any way but i would stongly suggest you google 'wubi' its the best way to try out ubunu and you dont need to make a cd, it took less than 15 mins on my 8mb connection!

once your up and running and your sure you like it (you will) then there is a really simple way to create a ext partition (ext is the name of the file system, windows uses ntfs) and you can transfer your install with your settings and all!

with regards to photoshop, gimp has almost everything photoshop can offer (would love to see a quickmask tho) and dosent hijak your ram! if you are interested in image editing and would like a challenge then when your on ubuntu you should google imagemagick, i find it sooo usefull for batch editing.

But yea go with wubi i think it means windows ubuntu installer, basicly it installs ubuntu into a windows folder called, you guessed it ubuntu. it also adds ubuntu as a installed program so if it dosent wor (it will) or you dont like it (you will) then its easy peasy to remove!

you really cant loose :)

lisati
June 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
thank you very much. your repies are very encouraging!

sorry,for not asking a question from the start...i plan to ask after i got the go signal hahaha

ok,so...i have been reading a bit about ubuntu,but i just dont have the technical background to understand some of the literature. but i am VERY pleased to know that ubuntu has freewares that can allow me to edit my RAW files shot from my camera and do some post editing in GIMP,its no photoshop,but its free...

i may need to ask questions one at a time...

1st is,what file system should i use for ubuntu?
i have a HDD w 2 partitions...one for my main windows boot and another for a "backup".

so,can i just format my boot partition and install ubuntu there via CD(made from downloading that BIG .iso file)

i am also aware of different buntu's...my work primarily deals with phot editing and 3d applications. so,which ubuntu OS is most suited for this? i may suggest to the technical guys to have ubuntu integrated into the pipeline later on for the very reason that ubuntu is free. and i am sure that there are free 3d softwares for this as well(wings3d? blender?) but this is a totally different question and we are straying too far hahaha

thank you very much again. i hope that i can contribute to this community in the future in what ever means,monetary or otherwise

It's sometimes a good idea to have a play with the "Live CD" feature of Ubuntu first which lets you try Ubuntu without actually installing it, to get an idea if it works on your equipment and if you like it. It won't run quite a slick as a proper install, but it should give you at least some idea.

Once you're ready to install, you might want to start by considering whether you want to install Ubuntu "within" windows, or have Ubuntu in its own partition (known as a "dual boot"), each of which can be used to have both Windows and Ubuntu on your system. This can be a good thing while you're finding your way around, particularly if you're not sure if you want to get rid of Windows just yet or if something goes wrong (as much as we hate to admit it!) with Ubuntu.

"Within windows" (a.k.a. "wubi") has the advantage that you can use the Windows control panel's "add/remove programs" feature to remove Ubuntu if something goes wrong or, heaven forbid! you change your mind. The down side is that if something goes wrong with Windows, it can sometimes interfere with your ability to run Ubuntu.

The "own partition" partition approach has the advantage that if Windows "goes south" for some reason, you can, with a few minutes tinkering, keep Ubuntu working.

EDIT: Very important: before installing, be sure to make a backup of your important data. As much as we hate to admit it, things can sometimes go wrong.

super kim
June 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
The "own partition" partition approach has the advantage that if Windows "goes south" for some reason, you can, with a few minutes tinkering, keep Ubuntu working.

But i found there is a simple way to create your said partition using partiton manager and to copy over the ubuntu install is just as easily done with LVPM all the links below :D

http://wubi-installer.org/
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

check the faq's on the wubi page (top right) i'm sure that will answer all your questions.

jmszr
June 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
richardHaw,

After you burn the .iso image: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto ,it would be a good idea to run the LiveCD to see how your hardware interacts with Ubuntu (it will be slower as it will be running off your RAM).

I would suggest Ext3 for your file system - Ext4 is available on 9.04 but it is new and has some teething to do.

How large is your hard drive and how large are the partitions?

Both Blender and wings3d are available in the Ubuntu repositories.

I used Wubi for about 5 months before I went solely Ubuntu on a new build - I think if you have the room you will be happier having Ubuntu on its own partition.

Just my own stupid opinion.

richardHaw
June 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
hey guys,

the HDD on my laptop is about 160gb of storage space...

the wubi and the liveCD is a great alternative. when running liveCD,is it possible for liveCD to modify my files? can i ruin my system just by using it?

its nice since it can detect hardware compatibility etc...

i have another problem...i have a USB modem for my broadband connection. it only runs on windows and macOS...i asked the support and they told me that this is not going to run on linux...what do you guys say?

after a quick search on google, i found this link

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/MSI/M635

that is the same laptop that i am using at the moment...its actually saying that i cant have WIFI or some other "little" things enabled...also, i may need to pay for a video driver...hmmm...i guess that this must be the end of my linux adventure :( how sad...i hope not

super kim
June 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
honestly you should just go and try wubi, you dont need to waste a disc and it cant do any dammage to your pc. if it all works out fine then have a look at making a propper change over but you have nothing to loose with wubi except about half an hour!
wubi has been made for people like you, did you check their site?
http://wubi-installer.org/
read that and decide for yourself and you ask if this modem or that graphics card will work you'll find out quicker if you go wubi than fussing around on forums. I bet it all works first time tho, mine did and when i rand acer they said it probably wouldnt work!!

nothingspecial
June 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
If you read what they say about your inbuilt wireless card, there is a working solution using ndiswrapper.

Using the ndiswrapper-utils package with MSI's Windows drivers provides a working solution for i386.

What is the make and model of your usb wireless thing you mentioned.