PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 Installation Problem

zachary715
June 17th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm trying to become a new Ubuntu user however I'm having trouble installing. I get through all the steps and when I actually select to install it hangs at about 27% with an error saying there's a problem with the ext3 or something. I've read other forums and realized I burned the disc too quick (48x) so I'll try that but has anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks

merlinus
June 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM
You might also do a checksum on your .iso:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

rogst
June 17th, 2009, 05:40 AM
You could also run the "Check CD for defects" utility at the first menu when booting on the CD.
:D

zachary715
June 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I ran the "Check CD for defects" and it came up clean so I figured the disk was fine. I'm installing on an old...

Dell Dimension 8100 1.5 GHz proc.
256MB Ram
20 GB HD

Someone gave me this old computer and I figured I'd try it out. I'm actually planning on installing on this system tho and putting the hard into another old system with 512MB Ram for more efficiency.

I haven't had time to run md5 checksum should I try that first or make new cd at slower speed first? Which is more likely?

dstew
June 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I assume you are using the Alternate Install CD. My guess is that the disk is bad. Me personally, I would check the md5 checksum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) first, and if it is OK make another disk at a slow burn rate

zachary715
June 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
checked the md5 checksum and it's fine it "compared" or whatever but as far as CD I just downloaded the .iso from ubuntu download page and burn it using nero essentials but the speed was at 48x. I'm going to download infra recorder or a similar program and try to make another cd to see if that helps..

dstew
June 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
One other thought. Have you done a memory check? Your memory is right at the border for what is sufficient, so if you have some bad memory the installation will fail.

zachary715
June 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Update: The error message I kept getting I googled and found another forum that had many others with the same problem. I removed the hard drive and put it into the system with 512MB memory and tried to install there too but same error. I was then told that if all else fails install 8.04 so I did. At this point I had to install in safe graphics mode and all was looking good until I had to partition the drive... none showed up. I googled this error and it could be an array of things. I'm ready to give up on linux unless someone can tell me a good distro that isn't a bit$& to install..

zachary715
June 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
If I tried Mandriva do you think I'd still get all these same problems?