PDA

View Full Version : I have a bad habit!...

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I hate to admit this; but I have a very bad habit that I am not very proud of.

here goes...

Do you ever find yourself evaluating someones foundation of knowledge and intelligence based on their email?

For instance, @aol, @hotmail @yahoo etc.

I am not a social elitist but I just can not respect someone's intelligence when I find out they are using @aol

bad habit I admit, this is a bit of a confession because this is not something I would let the person in front of me know.

Just wondering if anybody else has this bad habit creep up?

MikeTheC
June 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I usually beat @aol people about the head until they pass out.

Is there something wrong with that? I thought that's what everyone did.

dragos240
June 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM

+1. Honestly.

Shibblet
June 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM

Email is not like cell phones. When you leave a provider, they don't allow you to take your email with you.

I have a @hotmail.com account because I don't want to have to email everyone on my list and tell them that I changed ISP's.

Mom forgets and still sends email to my original address. Or I forgot to email "someone" who doesn't know how to get ahold of me anymore... It's the human error factor at that point.

Ms_Angel_D
June 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Email is not like cell phones. When you leave a provider, they don't allow you to take your email with you.

Maybe we should start a movement like this. DOWN WITH ANY ISP'S WHO WON'T LET US MOVE OUR MAIL!

lol

Woormy
June 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
And where is your e-mail account?

I hope it isn't gmail because, well, you know.

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I hope it isn't gmail because, well, you know.Actually, I love gmail!

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM

here goes...

Do you ever find yourself evaluating someones foundation of knowledge and intelligence based on their email?

I am not a social elitist but I just can not respect someone's intelligence when I find out they are using @aol

bad habit I admit, this is a bit of a confession because this is not something I would let the person in front of me know.

Hey, my mother uses aol, and she is a very intelligent woman. What does a mail service have to do with intelligence anyways? So what mail service does "smart people" use?

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Hey, my mother uses aol, and she is a very intelligent woman. What does a mail service have to do with intelligence anyways?

Absolutely nothing! That's why it is called a bad habit! It is much like circular reasoning, simply a logical fallacy no matter which way you look at it.

haemulon
June 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Absolutely nothing! That's why it is called a bad habit! It is much like circular reasoning, simply a logical fallacy no matter which way you look at it.

ok this is going to sound rough, but...

it's not just a bad habit, that thinking of yours it says something about your intelligence.

lisati
June 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I question the intelligence of some spammers and scammers. Stupid things I've seen include:

Typing in all caps (unprofessional, technically it hasn't been necessary for many years and is often considered to be shouting)
Pretending to be from FedEx or the FBI or some well-known organization and using a free (gmail, yahoo or hotmail) email address
Spelling mistakes
Using (say) a yahoo.fr email address to send a message from (say) Argentina (it's easy enough to find out) to my home-business email account in NZ expecting me to transfer large sums of money (nothing to do with my home business) and to call a UK phone number to make the arrangement.
Telling me that my email address has "won" a prize and then expecting me to tell them my email address
Sending an email to an email address that's only advertised in one place (my "business" website) that asks for my name, address and phone number, when they could have learned my name from web site, and looked up in an online phone book for my address and phone number (my real name isn't that common and my web site has enough clues scattered about that show my general location)
Propositioning me (either business or romantic) through the email address that I've only used at launchpad and these forums...

Need I rant on?

hatten
June 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I puke at hotmail-people!

Sealbhach
June 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I use @yahoo....., works fine for me. Very little spam that's not filtered out. I have set up a gmx.com account as well, in case Microsoft actually buy Yahoo.

What's wrong with using aol.com anyway? Is it just snobbery?

lisati
June 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
haista vittu (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=809266)今幸福!! (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=809266)

Greetings and salutations!

dmizer
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Well, I've had my hotmail address since September of 1996. For those of you not around back then, that was before Microsoft bought it.

Really, I haven't had any problems with Hotmail but I rarely used the web interface for sending and receiving email. I just used Thunderbird with the webmail plugin, and that allowed me to send mail without the annoying ads tagged onto the end of them. Hotmail has recently moved to full pop access, so now I can avoid the webmail plugin, while still avoiding the ads.

I am now hosting my own email server, but I've been using hotmail for so long now that it would be impossible for me to reach everyone who knows that address. Sometimes email addresses are simply a matter of circumstance rather than choice.

Giant Speck
June 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have an account at each of the following:

- Yahoo! (mail.yahoo.com)
- Gmail (gmail.com)
- Hotmail (mail.live.com)
- Global Internet Mail (gimail.af.mil)

As well as two military e-mail accounts.

Gmail is my primary account. I use GI-Mail for slightly-less-than-official work stuff that I would rather not clog my work e-mail with.

I need to get a CAC reader and install the software so that I can access my work e-mail at home, but alas, I'm too lazy to get that done.

Shibblet
June 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Wow. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! (That's just a python reference, no offense intended.)

Email is email, who cares who you get it through?

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
wow. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

lmao

HappinessNow
June 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
ok this is going to sound rough, but...

it's not just a bad habit, that thinking of yours it says something about your intelligence.
That would only be if I took my self seriously! lol

RyanthePenguin
June 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I need to get a CAC reader and install the software so that I can access my work e-mail at home, but alas, I'm too lazy to get that done.

If you get that working under Linux, please PM me with the info. I hate having to boot into Windows so that the Middleware can authenticate.

dmizer
June 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
If you get that working under Linux, please PM me with the info. I hate having to boot into Windows so that the Middleware can authenticate.

|
|
|
V
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=457084

WatchingThePain
June 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
It seems a bit like when a persons intelligence or status is evaluated by which newspaper they choose to read.

The Guardian is good to be seen with (I think), but Sun readers can get piercing looks.

Having your domain name in the email addy tends to impress some people.
Sometimes I have been given a business card which uses a subdomain of aol or something and I don't think that looks good. It' seems a bit "Only Fools and Horses".

I have always disliked the term "hotmail".
Chicken can be Hot, weather can be hot..mail erm not sure.

Is there any foundation?.
I doubt it, and a survey would be like : Post your IQ rating and Email address.

The trouble with IQ tests is that a lot of Intelligent people are just rubbish at Maths.

lisati
June 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The trouble with IQ tests is that a lot of Intelligent people are just rubbish at Maths.

I'd guess that it's difficult to design an IQ test that measures real intelligence without it turning into a "general knowledge" test or it reflecting some kind of cultural bias.

73ckn797
June 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM

here goes...

You need counseling.:)

WatchingThePain
June 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd guess that it's difficult to design an IQ test that measures real intelligence without it turning into a "general knowledge" test or it reflecting some kind of cultural bias.

Agreed.

Mehall
June 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I have two uni addresses (uni-wide one, and departmental one), a hotmail (moved most everything from it, but I check it in case I've missed anything) and I have two GMail accounts, one of which is gmail for domains.

Due to what Broadband plan I have, and lacking money to get a VPS or anything, I can't run my own email server, and I think gmail is excellently executed, so that's why I host mehall.co.cc mail there. I use a friends webhost for my hosting though, rather than google sites.

elianthony
June 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Personally, I have tried Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, and Lakmail. I currently use Gmail, and I think that every other one that I mentioned trails it severely. I also tend to think ill of people's tech savvy-ness, or modern-ness if they have an @aol address. I mean, it's kind of like 8 tracks. Not that that means anything about the person, that's just my impression of it.

However, I recently listened to an interview on NPR about what hiring managers/hr people look for in applicants as far as the way they're approached by job seekers. It was interesting. A few points that several managers seemed to agree on that related to technology...

-Submit your resume in digital format. Paper resumes will be disregarded or a request for a digital copy will be made.

-Husband & wife joint email addresses, as well as addresses that contain something like "hotgirl" taint an applicant as unprofessional and so on.

-@Aol addresses were mentioned, and apparently make applicants look bad, and get less consideration by some.

JordyD
June 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I use Gmail. I used others before, but I don't really like them. (Yahoo!, AOL, Hotmail, Live, etc.)

swoll1980
June 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM

I disagree. I believe the measure of ones intelligence is his/her ability to solve problems effectively. If someone is bad at math, it goes a long way towards hindering their ability to solve problems. Things like spelling, and speach, history, and such, have to be learned. Math can be discovered.

Dimitriid
June 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I also have a yahoo account that acts as my personal spam blocker: Every time I need to register or enlist on some website I always use that address. As a result my Gmail account never gets more than 1 or 2 spam messages per week, my yahoo mail gets upwards of 50.

longtom
June 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Math can be discovered.

to a degree, my friend, to a degree. I had to learn a lot through my latter years for math, I'll tell you that for nothing...

WatchingThePain
June 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I disagree. I believe the measure of ones intelligence is his/her ability to solve problems effectively. If someone is bad at math, it goes a long way towards hindering their ability to solve problems. Things like spelling, and speach, history, and such, have to be learned. Math can be discovered.

Did Van Gogh solve any problems?.
I don't know if Artists would be described as problem solvers but they would be called intelligent.
So there. :-s

hatten
June 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! (That's just a python reference, no offense intended.)

lmao, well i didn't mean anything bad with it, but the web interface is sooooo disturbing. If i actually puked at all hotmail users i would have to puke at all my friends all day long =P

swoll1980
June 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know. If he's as smart as you say, I'm sure he did.

I don't know if Artists would be described as problem solvers but they would be called intelligent.

Not to be a prick, but there are mentally retarded artist as well. I don't believe the ability to make art is a measure of intelligence. Though many artist were very intelligent. Leonardo da Vinci would be a good example.

JordyD
June 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Python reference? As in Monty Python? I've never seen any Monty Python shows before but if that sums up the humor, then I want to go watch one.

hatten
June 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Python reference? As in Monty Python? I've never seen any Monty Python shows before but if that sums up the humor, then I want to go watch one.
yep, go watch until your eyes bleed, they are awesome

WatchingThePain
June 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Not to be a prick, but there are mentally retarded artist as well. I don't believe the ability to make art is a measure of intelligence. Though many artist were very intelligent. Leonardo da Vinci would be a good example.

Yes.
I surrender to your views.
You are taking me?.
Sorry me english is not very good :D

Shibblet
June 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
lmao, well i didn't mean anything bad with it, but the web interface is sooooo disturbing. If i actually puked at all hotmail users i would have to puke at all my friends all day long =P

I didn't take it as bad. But the interface does blow donkeys. Fortunately the benefit of Hotmail, is that it can be used with other mail programs.

Holy Crap! That's the Holy Grail! You owe yourself.

kk0sse54
June 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM

I have an @aol email account, so am I stupid now?

HappinessNow
June 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM

Cats, monkeys and elephants are also known to make great art, but then again they may actually be more intelligent then humans, especially Bonobos. They don't wage war against each other. Ants and humans are the only two species on earth that actually wage war against each other.

dragos240
June 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM

I hope it isn't gmail because, well, you know.

I love GMAIL! Theres nothing wrong with it.

MasterNetra
June 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Good art is art that is good to you. Van Gogh is a popular artist. Although you'd be surprise how much math is in the old style of art. (Portraits, realistic scenery etc) They did use angles, measurements, etc.

HappinessNow
June 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Good art is art that is good to you. Van Gogh is a popular artist. Although you'd be surprise how much math is in the old style of art. (Portraits, realistic scenery etc) They did use angles, measurements, etc.Math, physics as well as chemistry still exist in art Not just the "old style"! Always has and always will.

Shibblet
June 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Did Van Gogh solve any problems?

He did solve problems. This one time, he figured out how to not hear out of his left ear. Solved that one, yes he did...

He also solved the problem of living without syphilis... but that's a different story, and it'd time for bed children.

HappinessNow
June 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
He did solve problems. This one time, he figured out how to not hear out of his left ear. Solved that one, yes he did...

He also solved the problem of living without syphilis... but that's a different story, and it'd time for bed children.
btw if your ever in Amsterdam be sure and visit the Van Gogh Museum (http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?lang=nl) it is pretty awesome!

sydbat
June 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM

He also solved the problem of living without syphilis... but that's a different story, and it'd time for bed children.Best answer EVER!

sanderella
June 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I also have a yahoo account that acts as my personal spam blocker: Every time I need to register or enlist on some website I always use that address. As a result my Gmail account never gets more than 1 or 2 spam messages per week, my yahoo mail gets upwards of 50.

Me, too.):P

And all the mail from my website goes to hotmail, because 99.999999999999% is spam.

Shibblet
June 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Me, too.):P

And all the mail from my website goes to hotmail, because 99.999999999999% is spam.

We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham, and jam, and SPAM-A-LOT!

linuxguymarshall
June 20th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I want to beat people with AIM and Yahoo and murder those with Hotmail. But Gmail is just fine by me.

Hail Google!

JordyD
June 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I want to beat people with AIM and Yahoo and murder those with Hotmail. But Gmail is just fine by me.

Hail Google!

I can see we'd get along just fine.

earthpigg
June 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
lastname.firstname.middlename@gmail.com for anything i care about

@hotmail.com for the rest

hatten
June 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Just remembered, i had a spray account years ago, what happened with them?

stwschool
June 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I used to have my own name on a .co.uk but decided that was too egotistical. On the AOL thing, back in my web dev days I did notice that our stupider customers (the ones who had business plans with absolutely no hope in hell of working, wanted purple with green spots, and generally annoyed the hell out of me) had AOL internet. It's not about the email, it's the kind of person who responds to the marketing AOL had at that time. It attracted thickies like **** attracts flies.

elianthony
June 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I used to have my own name on a .co.uk but decided that was too egotistical. On the AOL thing, back in my web dev days I did notice that our stupider customers (the ones who had business plans with absolutely no hope in hell of working, wanted purple with green spots, and generally annoyed the hell out of me) had AOL internet. It's not about the email, it's the kind of person who responds to the marketing AOL had at that time. It attracted thickies like **** attracts flies.

I can agree with that. The way AOL billed itself made me sick.

Shibblet
June 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Come on! AOL Rocks! I mean, they have the best...

Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face when I said that. :D