PDA

View Full Version : Iranian protesters resorting to "hacktivism"

myk02k
June 17th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hey guys I thought I'd share some interesting news. I just recently read an article discussing how Iranian protesters are using Twitter to communicate with each other to collectively communicate on protesting sites, as found here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8103577.stm). Thepiratebay.org has also dedicated a forum for what's going on in Iran and has posted literally hundreds of proxy servers so that Iranians may access their website if Iranian ISPs begin to block their servers. Here's another site (http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=6583) giving some information about the 'poor man's hacktivism' that's currently going on against the Iranian government. Exactly what's going on with all this? What could come from DDos'ing Iranian websites?

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I think the technological aspect of this post is interesting. However, the discussions on this topic could become political resulting in this thread being closed. I would suggest avoiding politics if you want it to stay open.

Mehall
June 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Twitter, whose hosting company has some means of still letting the iranians on during the internet blackout, delayed scheduled maintenance at their own idea (and the DoJ apparently asked them to as well) from yesterday during the middle of the Iranian day, to not long ago, early Wednesday morning. twitter has been key in letting Iranians find good working proxies to get out of the firewall they have been facing.

myk02k
June 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
"Religion/Politics threads:

Conversations about religion are disallowed at all times, as are all political discussions that are not directly related to free and open source software concerns."

The topic is directly related to the technological aspects of the protests. Is it an adequate plea to ask any repliers to maintain a strict objective approach? I'd like to hear what is to be said on this topic, although no talk about how things "should be" may be brought up, posts must stay strictly on topic, and we will be within Code of Conduct guidelines.

sisco311
June 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think the technological aspect of this post is interesting.
but trivial (in technological sense).

myk02k
June 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
but trivial (in technological sense).

How so? It may be in a broader scope of what's going on in the news, but nevertheless unique in how technology is being used during these protests.