PDA

View Full Version : Dead Beat Browsers! The Browsers that came and then died!

HappinessNow
June 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM
For fun to pass the moment, I am compiling a list of browsers that came and then died...

1. Flock
2. Galeon
3. Maxthon
4. Sputnik

Can anybody else think of any Dead Beat browsers that are dieing into oblivion or have died completely?

nitehawk777
June 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
A few years back,..I used to fool around with a fun browser called something like: "NeoPlanet"...
You could make your own "skins" and stuff for it,....(was for windows only, I think).

CharmyBee
June 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
1. NCSA Mosaic
2. AOL browser
3. MSN Explorer
4. OffByOne

doorknob60
June 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Netscape? Duh?

JordyD
June 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM
[snip]
1. Flock
[snip]

Flock died?

nolliecrooked
June 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
probably Opera pretty soon.

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Flock died? Still going through Rigor mortis.

add to the list:

Avant Browser

SunnyRabbiera
June 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM

I dont think so, Opera might get a boost with 10.

Anyway didnt know flock was dead, sources?

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I dont think so, Opera might get a boost with 10.

Anyway didnt know flock was dead, sources?

dieing not dead. Sources? there is no empirical validation in this social paradigm simply observations only; in other words I have run no mathematical algorithms.

Hence I quote my OP:

For fun to pass the moment, I am compiling a list of browsers that came and then died...

the most important point highlighted in red bold font. ;)

Ms_Angel_D
June 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
A few years back,..I used to fool around with a fun browser called something like: "NeoPlanet"...
You could make your own "skins" and stuff for it,....(was for windows only, I think).

I loved Neoplanet back in the day.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4135/neoplanet.th.gif (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/neoplanet.gif/)

I went looking and I guess the browser is back to being available.

http://www.neoplanet.com

hanzomon4
June 17th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Still going through Rigor mortis.

add to the list:

Avant Browser

For some reason I loved Avant... um konqueror you need to die or go webkit

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
3. Maxthon

Maxthon was awesome. It was IE with tabs. I guess there wasn't much demand for it when IE got tabs.

Dharmachakra
June 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM

That was a good laugh.

Ms_Angel_D
June 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Maxthon was awesome. It was IE with tabs. I guess there wasn't much demand for it when IE got tabs.

Actually I think the death of maxthon had more to do with the changes they put into it. It was once a really good browser, but they kept trying to improve it but it instead became worse. To me it seemed like every version would crash more than the last.

nitehawk777
June 17th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I used to like that little, fast "Kmeleon" browser, too. Not too long ago, I ran the thing in Linux with Wine. Still ran pretty fast!!! I'll have to see if the little guy is still around,..haven't heard about it lately.

EDIT: Yeah,..just checked. It's still alive and kicking!

ericab
June 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
my hopes:

maxathon
kmelon
explorer

..need to die.

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
For some reason I loved Avant... um konqueror you need to die or go webkit

Avant isn't dead. They just released a new one a few months ago.

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Netscape? Duh?

Netscape didn't die. It was murdered.

Pogeymanz
June 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Netscape didn't die. It was murdered.

Quoted for truth.

MaxIBoy
June 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
By "came and died," do you mean "came, never got popular, remained in obscurity, and then died," or do you also include browsers which "came, got popular, were influential for years to come, and eventually faded away, but remained in everyone's memory?"

Chemical Imbalance
June 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Quoted for truth.

Indeed.

Compucore
June 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
With all the hollering they do at the top of their lungs. And sounding like they were getting wedgies. (The stage opera in reference to Opera the browser. in a joking way of course.) You figure that it would have been dead.Opera is a nice alternative tried it on both windows and ubuntu over here. ;)

That was a good laugh.

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Avant isn't dead. They just released a new one a few months ago.

Avant needs to be stoned to death then.

With all the hollering they do at the top of their lungs. And sounding like they were getting wedgies. (The stage opera in reference to Opera the browser. in a joking way of course.) You figure that it would have been dead.Opera is a nice alternative tried it on both windows and ubuntu over here. ;)

You know what they say, "It isn't over until the..."

DogMatix
May 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Just loaded Maxathon 3 beta, sadly had to revert to XP, but, impressed. Is a bit operaesque (menu tab, speed dial), with "Bing" as default search (worrying). But, I have read it may be ported to linux. Couldn't find out if it is truely Open Source. Like the Drag and drop search (any other browser do this?) Will play more. With Firefox becoming add on clunky & Opera (unite) going in uncertain directions.mmmm. (scratch chin). Thoughts please people?

Also, I guess BUMP. sorry.

Dogmatix (woof)

Ebere
May 10th, 2010, 02:12 AM
What about browsers that came, and then only rolled over and went to sleep ?

lisati
May 10th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Netscape, huh? I use Firefox and have used IE, both which have parts of Netscape as part of their heritage.

Little Bones
May 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I want to consider IE dead because it is so useless and crappy, but I realize it isn't really dead.

Greg
May 10th, 2010, 02:50 AM
This thread needs more Mosaic.

murderslastcrow
May 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Kazehakase isn't in the repositories, anymore. D: http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/ Seems to be alive and well, though. Odd.

3rdalbum
May 10th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Opera isn't going anywhere. It's still the single-most popular mobile and embedded browser.

And I think once people switch to Opera, they don't go back. Especially when they have Opera Mini or Opera Mobile on their phone.

duanedesign
May 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM
This thread got me feeling nostalgic so i went to the browser archive (http://browsers.evolt.org/) to reminisce.