PDA

View Full Version : "Forgive My Ranting," or "A Trip Through Dell"

Jackelope
June 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Funny title if you're old enough to remember Rocky and Bullwinkle :p

But I came here to warn whoever might be laptop shopping. I just got off the chat with dell tech support...for the 5th time in 2 months. I bought a Latitude, and the screen was wonky, and after three lengthily repairs they admitted it was a design flaw and refunded me. But that's not the end. I bought a Studio, figuring that the superior LED screen would keep any screen issues at bay. No such luck. The screen was missing 8 (EIGHT!) pixels in a blob. They fixed it, but screwed up the display. Now it only half lights up, and goes out every time I bump my laptop too hard. Of course, its going back again. I only hope its fixed this time for good.

Moral of the story: Dell's quality control sucks like Kirby on crack. Buyer beware if you care about screen quality and competence at all. I will be recommending HP and Toshiba to my clients, and I recommend them to you as well.

To anyone who read this far....man, you're freekin bored to be reading this. Peace, everyone.

nolliecrooked
June 16th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Funny title if you're old enough to remember Rocky and Bullwinkle :p

But I came here to warn whoever might be laptop shopping. I just got off the chat with dell tech support...for the 5th time in 2 months. I bought a Latitude, and the screen was wonky, and after three lengthily repairs they admitted it was a design flaw and refunded me. But that's not the end. I bought a Studio, figuring that the superior LED screen would keep any screen issues at bay. No such luck. The screen was missing 8 (EIGHT!) pixels in a blob. They fixed it, but screwed up the display. Now it only half lights up, and goes out every time I bump my laptop too hard. Of course, its going back again. I only hope its fixed this time for good.

Moral of the story: Dell's quality control sucks like Kirby on crack. Buyer beware if you care about screen quality and competence at all. I will be recommending HP and Toshiba to my clients, and I recommend them to you as well.

To anyone who read this far....man, you're freekin bored to be reading this. Peace, everyone.

Samsung make the best monitors.

Jackelope
June 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM

agreed. they're beautiful. When I get the cash to build my gaming rig I want a samsung.

JordyD
June 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hm. I never really thought much about the differences of the manufacturers other than "Those are cheaper", and "Hey look! It runs Ubuntu!!!"

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM

agreed. they're beautiful. When I get the cash to build my gaming rig I want a samsung.

The OP is talking about a laptop.

I have had many laptops from Dell, HP, and Toshiba. They all have good ones and bad ones.

I have chosen not to judge a company based on a sample of one computer. I haven't found a manufacturer that consistently provides better warranty service over another either.

When your laptop breaks, and you have to get it fixed, it is not a pleasant experience.

Recently, most of my computers have been HP; however, I can't provide any data that supports my choice.

DeadSuperHero
June 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
After dealing with pains from both Viaos and Acers, I ended up using a Compaq Presario. It's not a beautiful machine, but it's solid. Also, it's nice to know that this thing is ridiculously sturdy.

MaxIBoy
June 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Can't speak for HP, but I'd suggest scratching Toshiba off the list too. (Or at least the Satellite A205 series.) My guess is, instead of solder, they use hot-glue with aluminum shavings mixed in.