PDA

View Full Version : Why do companies use DRM?

CJ Master
June 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm serious, it sounds like one of the most idiotic decisions they can make.

These software companies are out to make money, correct? That's why they put DRM on. But why? DRM costs a lot of money to make, and pirates crack it the first couple of days. All that money down the drain.

Take Spore for example. That program's more DRM then Game. And guess what? It was awarded the highly prestigious award for "most pirated game." And who can blame the pirates? The free version contained no adware, and no installation limits. Who would pay for the whole version when they knew that?

Let's also take World of Goo. This game is absolutely 100% DRM free. And guess what? Many people bought this game instead of pirating it just because of the fact that they actually OWN the game (including me!)

So tell me, why are people adding DRM to their products?

(originally posted at Noost, but I think it also applies here.)

nolliecrooked
June 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
because they hate you, and want to sell your babies.

ddrichardson
June 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Its not DRM, its intrusive implementation. It really only affects those who legitimately purchase their goods so I'd certainly like to see the end of it.

That said, it worries me when people see two choices - buy it or pirate it. I think that should really be buy it or don't, as long as people chose to pirate then it gives DRM exponents a reason to expunge its virtue.

BackwardsDown
June 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
These software companies are out to make money, correct? That's why they put DRM on. But why? DRM costs a lot of money to make, and pirates crack it the first couple of days. All that money down the drain.

Case:
You are a computer illiterate and you nephew has bought spore. You also want a copy so you put it in your drive and run nero-copy-disk. Everything seems to go fine, but upon installing it fails. Now that you were almost there you decide to buy the game. DRM-win.

Since there is DRM on DVD's I almost see no-one copying disks anymore. DRM is not made to stop hackers from spreading modified-versions but to stop computer illiterates from copying.

SuperSonic4
June 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Case:
You are a computer illiterate and you nephew has bought spore. You also want a copy so you put it in your drive and run nero-copy-disk. Everything seems to go fine, but upon installing it fails. Now that you were almost there you decide to buy the game. DRM-win.

Since there is DRM on DVD's I almost see no-one copying disks anymore. DRM is not made to stop hackers from spreading modified-versions but to stop computer illiterates from copying.

Yeah, I'd agree. Although there is a large collection of dvd models which can be hacked and google can give the database.

lavinog
June 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I find these articles interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/03/pc-game-developer-has-radical-message-ignore-the-pirates.ars
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04/demigod-hit-by-massive-piracy-review-scores-take-beating.ars

Mehall
June 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I find these articles interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/03/pc-game-developer-has-radical-message-ignore-the-pirates.ars
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04/demigod-hit-by-massive-piracy-review-scores-take-beating.ars

A LARGE number of Demigod piraters have now bought the game (large percentage compared to most games, that is. Some people just like free stuff) since what they wanted was to A) see how it would run on their comp and B) see what the game was like, but there was no trial version.

Bios Element
June 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Its not DRM, its intrusive implementation. It really only affects those who legitimately purchase their goods so I'd certainly like to see the end of it.

That said, it worries me when people see two choices - buy it or pirate it. I think that should really be buy it or don't, as long as people chose to pirate then it gives DRM exponents a reason to expunge its virtue.

So you blame it on pirates? Well Pirates blame it on DRM. If the companies don't stop using DRM, Then pirates will continue to pirate it and the legit buyers will be annoyed to the point where they pirate it as well just to avoid the DRM. It's a downward cycle that everyone but the large company execs can see. >.>

jimv
June 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
They use DRM for the same reason you put locks on your doors and windows. Are those locks going to stop a determined person from getting into your house? No, but they'll keep 99% of would-be intruders out.

That said, DRM does have it's uses. I enjoy the Zune Pass from Microsoft, which allows me to download as much music as I want each month for $15. I can only listen to the songs for as long as a keep paying the monthly fee, but I'm ok with that. It's a good implementation of DRM IMHO. I get what I want, the copyright holders don't have to worry about people paying $15 and downloading thousand of dollars worth the music and then canceling their subscriptions.

Valve's Steam is also a good implementation of DRM. I can install my software anywhere, anytime, but only I can use it.

Then pirates will continue to pirate it and the legit buyers will be annoyed to the point where they pirate it as well just to avoid the DRM.

That's such a tired argument. "We steal because there are measures in place to keep us from stealing!" I've never had an "annoying" problem with DRM. That said, I pirated a lot of software when I was younger. It was always about money, not because the software was DRMed. Now that I'm older and have a job, I just buy the games. Don't have to worry about infringement, viruses, hacked software, not being able to play online, etc.

Shibblet
June 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM
DRM is considered Illegal in Canada. I think Norway too.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33991/118/

So you blame it on pirates? Well Pirates blame it on DRM. If the companies don't stop using DRM, Then pirates will continue to pirate it and the legit buyers will be annoyed to the point where they pirate it as well just to avoid the DRM. It's a downward cycle that everyone but the large company execs can see. >.>

I think the frustration lies in the purchase. When you buy a song, even for $0.99, you want to be able to use it whenever and wherever. Why can't you throw it on your Zune, your iPod, make a CD with it on there, and play it on your computer?

It doesn't matter how small the price tag, if someone buys it, they want to use it.

CJ Master
June 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM
That's such a tired argument. "We steal because there are measures in place to keep us from stealing!" I pirated a lot of software when I was younger. It was always about money, not because the software was DRMed. Now that I'm older and have a job, I just buy the games. Don't have to worry about infringement, viruses, hacked software, not being able to play online, etc.

Had I known about the monster DRM spore had, I would not have bought it. I would find a way to play it, however.

Mehall
June 16th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Had I known about the monster DRM spore had, I would not have bought it. I would find a way to play it, however.

I know many a person who bought the retail version, to ensure Will Wright got the money he deserves, but then pirated a cracked version so they didn't have to face the DRM issues.

JordyD
June 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Case:

Yes, but the people buying the game know how to find cracks for it. For example, everyone at my school that play games for a hobby knows how to look for cracked versions. There only needs to be one person to crack it, and a whole load of computer illiterate people can easily download and double-click. I'd say that pirates go down as far as Middle School.

http://xkcd.com/488/

ddrichardson
June 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I didn't blame anything on pirates, I said that would be the argument of the DRM exponents. In fact I clearly stated I don't care for DRM and would rather vote with not purchasing. I also stated it only affects legitimate users, so I'm not at all sure what you take issue with.

doorknob60
June 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Because they think it will prevent people from getting it illegally, but it actually encourages it. I don't buy things with crazy DRM, and if I still want them, then I still get them :P But if it has reasonable protection (like just a CD Key and NO INSTALLATION LIMITS, and Steam is fine too) then I'll pay for it. If someone makes high quality software with no DRM (especially if it supports Linux!), then I just feel bad to pirate it. For example Crossover Games, I'd never consider pirating that.

JordyD
June 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
If someone makes high quality software with no DRM (especially if it supports Linux!)

World of Goo? I love that game. I think I should buy it (I've only played the demo).

ddrichardson
June 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I don't buy things with crazy DRM, and if I still want them, then I still get them :P
Yes that seems to be a common approach, in fact its the second time tonight in two seperate threads I've seen it said by different people.

The rub is that it plays into DRM exponents arguments because if the DRM were (not possible I grant you) unbeatable then by your definition you have no choice but to buy it.

jimv
June 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM

It was so terrible that you didn't notice it...but if you had known about it you wouldn't have bought it? lol

CJ Master
June 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
It was so terrible that you didn't notice it...but if you had known about it you wouldn't have bought it? lol

That's defiantly not the point, and you should know that if you have looked into spore drm AT ALL, which I presume that you did not. Not only does it apply a patch to the kernel which is easy exploitable for full control, it also causes many people's computers to majorly screw up. Not only that, even if I decline the license agreement, the adware still attaches itself to my computer. I will not support a company that actually does this.

lavinog
June 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I installed X3:reunion demo on my vista pc only to find that it wont run on vista only because the starforce drm wasn't compatible with vista. After removing the demo I noticed my system acting strange and really long boot times. I ran autoruns and found that the starforce dll files were loading at boot and removed them. Now everything works fine.
Personally I think there should be a law (and I think there is actually) about this sort of behavior. If I remove a program, it better be removed.
Needless to say I decided to not buy any X3 games. (I was wanting to try the X3:reunion demo, because the X3: terrain conflict demo is just a video)

I am curious how the game industry would react if more users were aware of how drm screws up their system. What if computer repair companies would tell their customers that the reason they have to wipe their computer is because of the drm that their games installed.