PDA

View Full Version : Opera unite, does it upload my files to its servers?

legolas_w
June 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
Can someone please let me know whether Opera upload my files to its servers to ensure that I can access them from other places or it is doing something else?

meborc
June 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
no...

opera unite will allow your computer to be the server... the files are on your computer and your friends can access them

you need to be online for this to work... no middle servers are used to store the data

Dragonbite
June 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
So you could always take a "home server", log in and have this running all the time for cheap webserver thrills, eh?

Does it tell you your web address to access it from outside?

mcduck
June 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
So you could always take a "home server", log in and have this running all the time for cheap webserver thrills, eh?

Yes, the shares and web pages can be accessed using any browser from the URL Unite gives to you.

Of course the web server part is very basic, so no PHP or any other advanced stuff there.

I think the idea is at least very interesting, although I can't really see myself really using the service (as I already have proper hosting and domain :D). But I suppose I'll have to test it sooner or later just to see how it works..

CrazyArcher
June 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Yes, it's form is pretty standardized. My URL is:
unite://home.crazyarcher.operaunite.com/webserver/content/

Colonel Kilkenny
June 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, it's form is pretty standardized. My URL is:
unite://home.crazyarcher.operaunite.com/webserver/content/

And it is not necessary to use operaunite.com, you can always use your own proxy host if you want to.

meborc
June 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
just used this to give a 55 M file to a friend... very nice... no need to upload to anywhere... my friend was able to just download the file from my computer... excellent stuff

ade234uk
June 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Would it not be better just to install Apache?

Dragonbite
June 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM

And configure, manage, secure it before you build the pages to deploy? This seems infinitely easier to do.

earthpigg
June 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM

perhaps better, but not easier.

im sure ISP's are really going to love this, btw. :popcorn:

grantemsley
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Basically, if you don't really know how to host a website, it looks like an interesting feature.

But for all the geeks...it's not really all that useful. I have at least a dozen ways I can transfer files to friends, and know how to setup a real webserver easily enough.

kevin11951
June 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Reminds me of this program I used to use on windows, and its open source (nothing but windows though :(). http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/