PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard UK

odear
June 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I am using an UK keyboard but some keys are very different
I am a beginner when it comes up to linux so if someone can help me setting up linux to use my keyboard as an uk keyboard
I need a step by step tut :P

SuperSonic4
June 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
yay for shift+2 being quotation mark :p

I think you can set it in
System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layout

but it's been a long time since I used gnome so either hunt for keyboard settings or wait for someone more knowledgable in gnome to come alomng

tea for one
June 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Try this path

System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layout

The select Add and choose your preference

LowSky
June 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
just to be clear, as I dont know if your using a full install or LiveCD but when installing Ubuntu, it gives you the option to pick your keyboard layout and language options.

tea for one
June 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
just to be clear, as I dont know if your using a full install or LiveCD but when installing Ubuntu, it gives you the option to pick your keyboard layout and language options.

Yes, that is a good point.

I must admit that I assumed that the OP had already installed Ubuntu

odear
June 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
thx guys
I just uninstalled ubuntu because the stuff I wanted to do didnt work on 64bit, I had to compile some stuff blablabla , which I couldnt do.

can I install a 32bit Linux distro on my computer
I have a AMD64 processor(if yes, is there a installer for windows so I dont have to burn a cd)

The Cog
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, the 32-bit version works on an AMD64. That's what I run on my AMD64. I really ought to try teh 64 bit version sometime - it's only inertia that stops me.

mikechant
June 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
There's no significant benefit I can see in the 64 bit version unless you've got more than 3Gb of memory.
I tried it on my machine (Intel core2 duo + 2Gb RAM) and did some benchmarks for various CPU intensive video/audio apps and got no measurable improvements.