PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a netbook

santaslittlehelper
June 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi

I am about to get a new netbook.

In my mind it's between the ASUS Eee 1000HE and the Samsung NC10.

For now the eee pc wins with battery time and the samsung wins in looking slick.

Maybe, no, something else? What would you recommend?

greyelm
June 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have an Advent 4312, Ubuntu Netbook Remix works really well, all hardware is supported out of the box.

santaslittlehelper
June 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks one more netbook I did not know about it's starting to get a bit confusing and ASUS is not helping with a new model per week police.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/232404/advent-4213.html
The battery life might put me of this one though but other then that most of them seem to be identical hardware wise. Though I think at least the 1000HE loses on the wireless stuff G3 etc...

learningcurb
June 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Make sure to check to for Ubuntu hardware compatibility issues: Both the Asus and Samsung models have some issues, though if the issue is with wifi or bluetooth, you may be able to swap the hardware out for something more compatible: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

ectospasm
June 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I just got a Samsung N110, and installed UNR right off the bat. Everything just worked on the Live image and in the main install. Except for Bluetooth recognizing my Microsoft laptop mouse. The workaround that worked in the Live image did not work in the full install. I ended up needing to install blueman from PPA, and then it just worked. Wifi has worked out of the box, including after a resume from a suspend. Of course, that may have been due to me having to connect to my wifi network at home, so I'll still have to do some testing.

My one major gripe is the touchpad. Disclaimer: I LOATHE touchpads. I can't figure out why it keeps pasting the buffer while I type. I'd much rather a joystick nub like the IBM ThinkPads have, which Lenovo is getting rid of. I keep fat-fingering it with my thumbs. I almost wish I could disable it entirely, but I suspect I'll regret it shortly thereafter when I'm sitting in class with a desk that's too narrow to fit the netbook AND the mouse. end gripe.

santaslittlehelper
June 17th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I had a look at the compatibility list, that's really good to know.
Suspend/Resume trouble would be a real pain.

I did have some doubt about the NC10 touchpad, one more reason I was more attracted to the 1000HE.

I did have a look at the MSI Wind U100 and U120 and though they look fine, they are rumored to run very hot?

If there are any other suggestions for the well, the “perfect” netbook then I would love to hear about it. Beside battery life, Linux compatibility is of course the most important thing!

Sealbhach
June 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
There's some new Ubuntu netbooks been announced recently, might be worth investigating:

http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html

http://archosfans.com/2009/06/15/archos-10-ubuntu-with-500gb-hard-disk-and-2gb-ram-released/

learningcurb
June 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I just watched the video for the Gecko. It looks like a really nice machine for basic web browsing and email. It sounds pretty low power though. I wonder if how well it will handle music playback and and Youtube. Even if doesn't do multimedia though it looks like a great little platform. I hope it comes with a quality keyboard though.

The Archos unit looks pretty nice too for a unit starting at 379 EU. I too bad they both demoed with Windows installed.

santaslittlehelper
June 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I really have a hard time making up my mind on this one.
The best bet would probably be to give it six months (new chipset and whatnot) but I kind of need something now.
Neither the 1008HA or the NC20 (which just reminds me of a really cheap low spec laptop btw) seems all that interesting to me at least.

I think I will get the 1000HE as it seems to fit my needs the best.

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers, I really needed them, just to make sure I didn't make a completely silly buy.

ectospasm
June 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I really have a hard time making up my mind on this one.
The best bet would probably be to give it six months (new chipset and whatnot) but I kind of need something now.
Neither the 1008HA or the NC20 (which just reminds me of a really cheap low spec laptop btw) seems all that interesting to me at least.

I think I will get the 1000HE as it seems to fit my needs the best.

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers, I really needed them, just to make sure I didn't make a completely silly buy.

One thing that made me stop looking at all the Asus eeePCs was that the keyboard was decidedly nonstandard. If I remember correctly, touch typing would be impossible with the eeePC, because the right shift is truncated to allow space for the up arrow key. When I type SHIFT-R, I don't want to hit the up arrow. Other keyboards (including the Samsung N120) had similar flaws. Just be sure you've got the keyboard layout you want first.

santaslittlehelper
June 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I know from experience that the eee pcs keyboards are/use to be a bit funky but the 1000HE seemed at least fine.

However the 1005HA should hit the streets sometime next month.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/15/asus-eee-pc-1005ha-m-and-1005ha-h-steal-seashells-sublimity/
Not to many news (spec wise, but I think I can live without being HD ready) but they seem to finally have nailed the keyboard and with prices looking fair or even really good I think I will give it wait.

Maybe the newline prices stay low because they are about to drop the base N280/945GSE both, who knows.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/intel-slide-shows-atom-n280-with-945gse-and-gn40-chipsets/

The first “netbooks” with the ION chipset is also roumered to hit the streets next month.
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/26/first-netbook-with-nvidia-ion-chipset-lenovos-ideapad-s12
Even though I doubt the Lenovo S12 would be interesting for me I nontheless find it exciting.

victor.gscardoso
June 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I've bought the 100HE and replaced the 1GB RAM for a 2GB on the shop, and can not be more satisfied (except for a issue I'll come back bellow).
The batery does not hold 9.5h as they advertise (but we all know how "controlled" are the manufacturers testing environments) but it has already worked for about 7h on a "standard environment" (Firefox, Evolution, Tomboy, OpenOffice, APT) without any complaints.
The keyboard is very good, at least comparing with the ACER ASPIRE ONE that my mother in law uses, and the screen quality is excelent in particular for working outdoors (non glossy). In fact that the screen was one of the main reasons of selection.

The "anoying bug" is that I can not connect to my home Wireless LAN, even though it is visible with an high level signal on the nework manager. Works fine with eth0, but for the wireless I'm trying to find a solution. Anyone has it already?

BR, Victor.

leandromartinez98
June 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've got a 1008ha, which has a nice keyboard. Network cards do not work out of the box, but the solution for the problems are available (see other posts of mine), and appart from that everything important works out of the box, including the camera and the most relevant Fn-keys. I'm very satisfied, I think it is a nice looking, lightweight computer. Everything runs so well that I'm considering selling my actual 15'' notebook, because since I don't play games I don't need extreme power.

santaslittlehelper
June 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The last couple of days I read some about fan noise with both the 1000HE and the 1005HA.
I just read an review.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/06/asus-eee-pc-1005ha-review.html

The Eee PC 1005HA has a rather noisy fan, which does help keep the underside of the computer from getting noticably warm. But it can be fairly noticable if you’re using the netbook in a quiet setting.
Can you guys say anything about the noise on either the 1000HE or the 1008HA?

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
asus with nbr :popcorn::popcorn:

leandromartinez98
June 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The last couple of days I read some about fan noise with both the 1000HE and the 1005HA.
I just read an review.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/06/asus-eee-pc-1005ha-review.html

Can you guys say anything about the noise on either the 1000HE or the 1008HA?

My 1008HA is not noisy at all. I have to put my ear 2 inches from it in order to actually hear the fan.

santaslittlehelper
June 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
asus with nbr :popcorn::popcorn:
Sorry but what is nbr? :popcorn:

santaslittlehelper
June 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
My 1008HA is not noisy at all. I have to put my ear 2 inches from it in order to actually hear the fan.
Thanks good to know.

From the comments in the review...

To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice the fan on the Eee PC
1008HA.Unfortunately, I can't say if that means it really was quieter,
or if I just didn't spend enough time with it in a quiet room to
notice.

I did notice the fan on the 1005HA, which is why I mentioned it here.

So I don't know, it could actually put me off...:(

Phreaker
June 27th, 2009, 11:22 PM
NBR= Netbook Remix

Raubsau
June 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I just got a 1005HA-M (non-glossy). The fan is running all the time, even when idle.

I must admit I did not start Windows even twice, and tried Ubuntu NBR as well as eeebuntu. Both did not come with WLAN/LAN recognition OOTB, workaround:

download linux-backport-modules for the kernel (2.6.28-11 I think), install, reboot. After dist-/kernel update: boot .28-11 kernel from grub menu and install backport-modules for the new kernel, then boot new kernel. Works fine for me concerning only WLAN / wireless!! I did not get LAN to work so far.

I can not recommend a 1005HA right now, maybe in 2 weeks there should be enough people who know how to solve those problems.

leandromartinez98
June 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just got a 1005HA-M (non-glossy). The fan is running all the time, even when idle.

I must admit I did not start Windows even twice, and tried Ubuntu NBR as well as eeebuntu. Both did not come with WLAN/LAN recognition OOTB, workaround:

download linux-backport-modules for the kernel (2.6.28-11 I think), install, reboot. After dist-/kernel update: boot .28-11 kernel from grub menu and install backport-modules for the new kernel, then boot new kernel. Works fine for me concerning only WLAN / wireless!! I did not get LAN to work so far.

I can not recommend a 1005HA right now, maybe in 2 weeks there should be enough people who know how to solve those problems.

Check my other posts, there you have the solution, described for the 1008HA, but the hardware is the same.

ectospasm
July 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've been using my Samsung N110 for about two weeks now. Everything with UNR (the proper way to refer to Ubuntu Netbook Remix) has worked out of the box. Wireless needs to be reset after a resume from hibernation or suspend, and getting my Bluetooth mouse working after hibernation is non-trivial. It also seems that the N110 boots faster if it's a "cold" boot, rather than coming out of hibernation.

Problems I've encountered include: sometimes I have to boot the N110 two to three times before it will even POST (I've been meaning to contact Samsung about this, but haven't found the time), but this isn't a UNR problem; if I suspend the N110 for a lengthy period (my tests included >8hr trials), it won't resume at all, whether it was connected to AC power or not, forcing a hard reset; my Microsoft Bluetooth laptop mouse (which I've mentioned earlier) works great, but fails to pair or be recognized after a resume from hibernation (works fine in a resume from a suspension or from a cold boot). I consider all of these to be minor annoyances, but these may be deal breakers for you. Wireless just seems to work at all times for me when there's an access point around, your mileage may vary.

About the only other "complaint" I have is the glossy screen, but I was able to use it with the sun shining directly on it, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Also, the battery life is at 7-7.5hrs rather than the advertised 9.5hrs. My assumption is that they didn't use the built-in wifi during their tests.

HTH

raymondh
July 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I use a MSIWind U100 with OC function (base 1.6ghz + 8 - 24%) with 2GB RAM and 320GB 7200 RPM HD. It has a 3-boot configuration. In ubuntu, the only tweak I had to do involved a driver for the realtek rtl8187se wifi card.

JAwuku
July 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I just got an ASUS eeepc 1000HE.

I am using eeebuntu Netbook Release ([URL="http://www.eeebuntu.org/index.php?page=nbr[/URL]).

Version 3.0 is the same as Jaunty.

Everything works out of the box.:guitar:

liesnomore
July 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I have Toshiba Portage M400 and everything works "out of box". The tablet pen works too.
It is older tablet, but the new should work fine.

gnomeuser
July 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I just bought the 1002HA. The price is excellent, the system is very nice with a sort of brushed metal finish. It runs both Moblin and Jaunty perfectly, with everything working down to perfect suspend/resume and every bit of hardware being supported. I get maybe 3½ hours of battery time but the computing time seems much longer due to the swift suspend/resume. The keys have a nice slightly rubbery feel to them which makes for pleasant typing, I still have to get used to the smaller keyboard but it feels good - with the slight problem that they labeled my special danish letter keys a bit funky so I tend to mistake two of them.

I called Asus to get a Windows refund, they do have a procedure for doing this but they will try to bribe you with bluetooth mice and what not to keep your Windows license. For an XP license they will give 10€ minus expenses for sending documents, Vista is worth 50€ for a refund. So you will nearly get nothing back here but if it is a matter of principal like it is for me then they handle it very nicely and politely. Unlike vendors such as Lenovo who I have fought for years to get a refund and never got anywhere.

The 1002HA gets very high marks from here. I am extremely pleased with it and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Johnsie
July 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Make sure the keyboard is good and the screen is 10 inch. Seriously, give the keyboard a good try out before buying because some of the keyboards are way better than others.

meborc
July 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
any of you guys tried the new moblin beta out yet??? - http://moblin.org/community/blogs/imad/2009/moblin-v20-beta-netbooks-and-nettops-its-here

i will be looking for a new netbook in the end of the year when i land in US... maybe the new ARM netbooks with SSD's will be out by then... nice!

corney91
July 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
The only downside I've found to getting the 1000HE is that it only comes with Windows - I'm triple booting Windows, normal Ubuntu, and Cruncheee(I should get rid of Cruncheee - I don't use it, although it is very good as a light OS :))

The batery does not hold 9.5h as they advertise (but we all know how "controlled" are the manufacturers testing environments)I've managed to get about 9 1/2 hours on Windows but it doesn't quite last as long on Ubuntu...

The "anoying bug" is that I can not connect to my home Wireless LAN, even though it is visible with an high level signal on the nework manager. Works fine with eth0, but for the wireless I'm trying to find a solution. Anyone has it already?

Mine worked out the box... :confused:
Although, it does take a while when trying to reconnect automatically but it connects fairly rapidly if I select the network manually... :confused:

victor.gscardoso
July 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Mine worked out the box... :confused:
Although, it does take a while when trying to reconnect automatically but it connects fairly rapidly if I select the network manually... :confused:

So, you are using 9.04 without any modifications?
My problem is that it "sees" the WLAN, it tries to connect, but after about 1 minute is gives the "unhable to connect" error...
I'd like to solve this without reinstalling another distro, like the netbook edition.
I'll try to connect to another WLAN to check if the problem comes out from my router. I don't have any password locked access, but only MAC filtering. What is really anoying is that the XP connects without problem.

corney91
July 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
So, you are using 9.04 without any modifications?
I'm trying to remember when I installed it and I'm fairly positive I've not edited anything... And it's 9.04 definitely :)
It's worth checking another network to make sure it's not your router :)

pizza-is-good
July 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Linux Journal had the eee as the most popular linux netbook...

I have used my frined's eee, on XP, and it works nice. Yes, its not the coolest looking thing, but the keyboard is big enough for a netbook (thats a biggie for me, I have big hands:lolflag:), and the battery seems to last forever. Screen is good, has camera, good hardrive, OK RAM (1 GB), intel cpu. So overall, its a good computer.

jfloydb
July 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One, with 120 gig hard drive, 1 gig RAM, 8.9 inch monitor, and (something like) a 95% size keyboard. I like it, alot. It's a very nice machine. But the touch pad is awkward and the six cell battery (as apposed to the nine cell) is good for only 2 1/2 hours. The best thing about it is that it runs Jaunty -- wifi and all -- without modification.

Xzallion
July 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I got an HP Mini 110 and while everything works, the graphics lag horribly, making it almost unusable with Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I have it set to dual boot Windows XP, using windows until an update fixes the graphics problems.

Out of the box wifi, audio, and webcam worked though.

victor.gscardoso
July 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It's worth checking another network to make sure it's not your router :)

Yep, maybe it's the router . I've checked in 2 public access points and it connects just fine. With the XP it gives the same error.
The router is making MAC address filter, but I've already tried with it on and off - the result is the same. I do not use any WEP encryption either.
The router is a SMC Barricade SMCWBR14.
I'm considering in buying another router....

santaslittlehelper
July 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hi guys

The truce is that I can't make up my mind it's a pain. :popcorn:
I am still considering both the NC10 and 1000HE.

I don't know about the 1005HA-H which apparently have a super glossy screen or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSC11L3xKNI
Which would probably make me go with the 1005HA-M that's supposedly have a non-glossy screen beside some lower specs that in my mind don't matter to much.

I just bought the 1002HA. The price is excellent, the system is very nice with a sort of brushed metal finish. It runs both Moblin and Jaunty perfectly, with everything working down to perfect suspend/resume and every bit of hardware being supported. I get maybe 3½ hours of battery time but the computing time seems much longer due to the swift suspend/resume. The keys have a nice slightly rubbery feel to them which makes for pleasant typing, I still have to get used to the smaller keyboard but it feels good - with the slight problem that they labeled my special danish letter keys a bit funky so I tend to mistake two of them.

I called Asus to get a Windows refund, they do have a procedure for doing this but they will try to bribe you with bluetooth mice and what not to keep your Windows license. For an XP license they will give 10€ minus expenses for sending documents, Vista is worth 50€ for a refund. So you will nearly get nothing back here but if it is a matter of principal like it is for me then they handle it very nicely and politely. Unlike vendors such as Lenovo who I have fought for years to get a refund and never got anywhere.

The 1002HA gets very high marks from here. I am extremely pleased with it and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

I don't think either the 1002HA or the 1008HA is for me though I do see the appeal.
There was a time where you could choose between (as I remember it) a 901 with 12GB SSD or 901 20GB SSD with Xandros, now that's a no brainier. And yes, I do feel a bit ridiculous having to buy a XP license.

Although to be earnest if I had to choose between a netbook without any OS or Linux installed or some Windows, all three with the same price tag I would probably get the license.
Just properly, I totally get how that can seem wired for some.

I've been using my Samsung N110 for about two weeks now. Everything with UNR (the proper way to refer to Ubuntu Netbook Remix) has worked out of the box. Wireless needs to be reset after a resume from hibernation or suspend, and getting my Bluetooth mouse working after hibernation is non-trivial. It also seems that the N110 boots faster if it's a "cold" boot, rather than coming out of hibernation.

Problems I've encountered include: sometimes I have to boot the N110 two to three times before it will even POST (I've been meaning to contact Samsung about this, but haven't found the time), but this isn't a UNR problem; if I suspend the N110 for a lengthy period (my tests included >8hr trials), it won't resume at all, whether it was connected to AC power or not, forcing a hard reset; my Microsoft Bluetooth laptop mouse (which I've mentioned earlier) works great, but fails to pair or be recognized after a resume from hibernation (works fine in a resume from a suspension or from a cold boot). I consider all of these to be minor annoyances, but these may be deal breakers for you. Wireless just seems to work at all times for me when there's an access point around, your mileage may vary.

About the only other "complaint" I have is the glossy screen, but I was able to use it with the sun shining directly on it, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Also, the battery life is at 7-7.5hrs rather than the advertised 9.5hrs. My assumption is that they didn't use the built-in wifi during their tests.

HTH

I have been considering the N120 and though it has a glossy screen too I have read just like you say that it's not to bad.

All the reviews I have seen on the N120 spec it with Atom N270, 802.11b/g WiFi, 6 cell 5200mAh.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/05/samsung-n120-review.html

But as this one guy comment at the very end -

My N120 that I bought in Hong Kong came with an Intel Atom N280 processor, 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth v2.1 w/ Enhance Data Rate and a 5900mAh battery! So with this new battery it will probably beat the 1000HA in your battery eater test.
(he probably meant to say 1000HE) this is the model I have been looking at too which might actually be worth the money compared to the NC10 and maybe even the 1000HE.

So right know I am mostly between the 1005HA-M and the N120, but today I am thinking N120.

Wish me luck and keep up the good comments if you feel like it. :)

BandedHawk
July 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I've got both the 1008HA and the 1005HA-M (the N280/1.66GHz/10.5 hour model). I like the 1008HA but my wife stole it for herself - with the power controls it lasts nearly up to the 5.5 hours (when not using any LAN/WLAN/Camera/Bluetooth) which I did one afternoon up at the cottage while writing up a report. The 1005HA-M has great endurance. The real clincher was the eee-control app to manage power usage on the Eee systems (with the kernel support for the Eee line of systems with regard to this management). Also the keys are pretty solid, and the RAM upgrade on the 1005HA was simple.

leandromartinez98
July 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I have the 1008HA and I'm quite happy with it. On Windows I get about 5 hour battery and on Ubuntu about 4 hours. The screen is indeed very bright and the keyboard very solid and easy to type. I can only say that I didn't bought the 1005HA because I didn't know it existed, it may be a good choice because of the longer batery life time. I would like to hear the comparative impresions of someone who has both of them (like BandedHawk).

BandedHawk
July 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The two machines - 1008HA and 1005HA are performance-wise, just about the same. The BIOS setting in the 1005HA is a bit better because you can turn off the camera in the BIOS whereas with the 1008HA, the camera stays on. It's a little thing, but the camera draws power when you first boot, so there's a bit of energy consumption already.

The 1005HA is a bit heftier and has a bit more girth. I've got to say the 1008HA is much sexier, and the little carrying pouch doesn't have a noticeable "pregnancy bump" like the 1005HA when the netbook is packed away. I got the white 1008HA and it shows fingerprints less, and looks like a nice partner to a white iPhone. The bule 1005HA shows up fingerprints more. And you don't get a swipe cloth for the 1005HA. It may be my imagination, but I think the 1005HA has a slightly lower production quality - there was a little bit of "edging" on the injection plastic molding that I didn't see on the 1008HA, and some of the extra stickers like the "green" energy sticker had a bubble in it.

The speakers seem a bit tinnier on the 1005HA. I don't think they are actually different speakers to the 1008HA. It may just be due to the fact that there is much more interior space in the 1005HA, so there is more echo within the 1005HA shell. But again, like everything else, it is only just discernible as a difference.

The construction is slightly different to accommodate the battery options. The underneath of the 1005HA is a matte, textured plastic, most likely to match with the exposed battery surface. The hinging is different also on the 1005HA, having two separate hinge flanges from the lid/LCD, since the battery forms the center back section of the main shell containing the keyboard. The 1008HA has a single continuous flange from the lid/LCD as there is no removable battery section. The 1008HA is shiny plastic all the way around.

The 1005HA is good for long flights because of the extra battery life. But with a lot of the big aircraft, you often have an AC outlet these days, so it's not so much of a problem. My only worry about the 1008HA is the inability to replace the battery when it eventually dies. But I suspect I'd probably just turf the 1008HA after 3 years anyway. I can usually make the battery last a full working day on the 1008HA - with the disabling of network when not needed, hibernate and a tune down of the LCD brightness (it really is quite bright).

Memory is less of an issue with UNR installed. I find I very rarely engage any swap on the system. But I did put extra memory in the 1008HA and 1005HA nonetheless.

The extra USB port on the 1005HA may or may not be important. Again, for me, I'm not intending to plug much into it other than a USB memory stick. No mouse, no keyboard - that's not the point of these machines.

I like them both but the 1008HA definitely looks the classier machine - but only just.

leandromartinez98
July 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thank you very much for the review. I'm quite happy with the 1008HA, as I said, and I'm using the standard Ubuntu, not the NBR. I've tweaked the interface a little to save space, noneless. I didn't upgrade the RAM and it is not an issue for me either. I have a bubble in my sticker as well :D.

descendent87
July 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
thinking of getting a netbook myself soon, so far the Lenovo S10 (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?issBase=ProductsCa tegory&issCategory=/Notebooks/IdeaPad%20notebooks) (linux version, £20 cheaper with 1GB extra RAM) is my first choice, will dual boot moblin and something else (possibly #! or something else lightweight) and probably end up sticking chrome os on there once it's released

Greenwidth
July 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking of getting one too, but I'm going to wait for a while until the Nvidia ION ones come out.
Looks like Samsung 510 might be first out of the gate followed by the Lenovo S12.

gordintoronto
July 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
This really, really sounds like failed password validation.

The "proper" way to run a wireless network is to use WPA. People can fake the MAC address, so if that's your only security, you are not secure. I also use MAC address filtering, but I don't count on it.

Yep, maybe it's the router . I've checked in 2 public access points and it connects just fine. With the XP it gives the same error.
The router is making MAC address filter, but I've already tried with it on and off - the result is the same. I do not use any WEP encryption either.
The router is a SMC Barricade SMCWBR14.
I'm considering in buying another router....

Footer
July 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking of getting one too, but I'm going to wait for a while until the Nvidia ION ones come out.
Looks like Samsung 510 might be first out of the gate followed by the Lenovo S12.

If you do get a Lenovo S12, do tell how it works with Ubuntu. I think nVidia graphics are well supported in Linux but I'm wondering how the S12 will fare since it comes with XP.

Thanks!