PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 9.04 on top of 8.04

Robin2
June 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
There may be a simple answer to this, but I can't find it.

I have 8.04 on this PC and I got an install disk for 9.04 in a magazine. It would be a lot simpler to install 9.04 onto my PC from the disk, rather than downloading all the upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10 and from 8.10 to 9.04. My internet connection is quite slow.

What I need to know is what "damage" will be done if I install from the CD. For example will it delete all the software I have downloaded since I installed 8.04?

And will it delete my data? - which I could deal with by backing it up and restoring it

Is there any other trap I might fall into?

Thanks

Paul T.
June 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I downloaded all the upgrades and experienced no problems, no lost progs or files etc. However I've since done a clean install of 9.04 and this is much better, system runs much more smoothly so I would recommend backing up all your important files and going this route.

merlinus
June 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
If you install rather than upgrade, then all your add-on apps will have to be reinstalled. Also, unless you have a separate /home partition, their configuration and setup files, and your personal data, will be lost as well.

You can of course backup the important files.

Ceiber Boy
June 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
There may be a simple answer to this, but I can't find it.

I have 8.04 on this PC and I got an install disk for 9.04 in a magazine. It would be a lot simpler to install 9.04 onto my PC from the disk, rather than downloading all the upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10 and from 8.10 to 9.04. My internet connection is quite slow.

What I need to know is what "damage" will be done if I install from the CD. For example will it delete all the software I have downloaded since I installed 8.04?

And will it delete my data? - which I could deal with by backing it up and restoring it

Is there any other trap I might fall into?

Thanks

YES, YES, YES. the programs are re-downloadable but you MUST back up your data!

it is good practice to do that anyway. sorry to be the bearer of bad news!