PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy DE's....

AICollector
June 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Listen, for the past two MONTHS I've been trying to move to KDE.
Now, I bet some of you are wondering why.

To be frank? I'm sick of GNOME, I really am. Right now, I run on a laptop; suprise, suprise, I was hoping to be able to take this laptop to places. but I cannot confidently do so because there are no power meters that can read my battery! (save for Puppy Dog Linux's and KDE's) I cannot get into the Power Management tool in GNOME because every time I do, my machine locks up. I can barely see the screen because GNOME, for some odd reason, keeps it so bloody dark.

Now, lets get into the eye-candy.
Or lack of it, in GNOME's case.

I appreicate that there are a lot of talented artists out there who do some BEAUTIFUL work, but I think I can safely say that GNOME dosent make it easy to beautify the system. Indeed, there are many messes within the whole thing, and I dont know if it's just me, but seeing lifeless grey folders does very little for the style of my desktop, nor does it help my mood.

Now, I bet some of you are thinking; Why don't you use Kubuntu? Well, I'll give a simple answer, KDE 4 is almost ready. Shame that the KNetwork Manager does not connect to my wireless system, and it's also a shame that without that, I cannot download any files including another network manager.. KDE 3.5 would be PERFECT!...if it werent for the fact that it, too, cannot get onto my wireless (or wired) connection because it cannot make head or tail of my hardware (though it does tell me it was created by Nvida) Why on EARTH couldnt Kubuntu slam in a decent network manager is beyond me. Perhaps it'd be better if there were multiple network managers to choose from?

"Well, why don't you move to another distro?". Because, somewhat annoyingly, there are no other debian based distros with KDE on the same level of user friendliness and razor sharp tech avaible, nor are ANY of them willing to let me install the propitery drivers I need without a fight (I want a debian system because most of the software I come accross is either in a deb package, or needs to be compiled. I am an anaonly in this world, I'm an end-user. an idiot end-user to be precise)

"What about installing KDE alongside GNOME?" Guess what? Won't work either. System buggers up and the login wont let me log into KDE, no matter how much I threaten it.

So, if anyone can please, just help here. or indeed, care to pick through my rant and debate it, please do so.

Tibuda
June 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Recurring flamewar.

lykwydchykyn
June 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
"Well, why don't you move to another distro?". Because, somewhat annoyingly, there are no other debian based distros with KDE on the same level of user friendliness and razor sharp tech avaible, nor are ANY of them willing to let me install the propitery drivers I need without a fight (I want a debian system because most of the software I come accross is either in a deb package, or needs to be compiled. I am an anaonly in this world, I'm an end-user. an idiot end-user to be precise)

I'm not really sure what kind of help you're wanting. If you want a debian based distro with KDE 3.5, MEPIS is pretty rock-solid and has graphical tools to install proprietary drivers.

Otherwise I'm not sure what your issue with Kubuntu is other than the network manager. Are you referring to knetworkmanager (which has been broken for most of 4.x) or the network manager plasma applet (just introduced in kde4.2/jaunty)?

SuperSonic4
June 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
You could always try a distro with a good package manager. I've heard good things about yast in suse and I can vouch for mandriva control centre being excellent.

wicd is much better than either networkmanager to be honest.

CharmyBee
June 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
"What about installing KDE alongside GNOME?" Guess what? Won't work either. System buggers up and the login wont let me log into KDE, no matter how much I threaten it.

Works for me. Clearly you are doing something wrong.

chris4585
June 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Umm... there is sidux you know, its debian based and uses kde 3.5? There is also linux mint's kde edition.

CJ Master
June 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Arch has an excelent package manager, and no need to download DEBs, AUR has about everything you could ever want. You can also manually set up your internet connection or get any network manager.

chris4585
June 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM
arch + kdemod is schweet

SuperSonic4
June 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Arch has an excelent package manager, and no need to download DEBs, AUR has about everything you could ever want. You can also manually set up your internet connection or get any network manager.

arch + kdemod is schweet

I concur.

Also kdemod has a kde3 repository :)

Barrucadu
June 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm an end-user. an idiot end-user to be precise)

This is one of those occasions where suggesting Arch probably isn't a good idea :p

AICollector
June 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Are you referring to knetworkmanager (which has been broken for most of 4.x) or the network manager plasma applet (just introduced in kde4.2/jaunty)?

I'm referring to the knetworkmanager. I'm not entirely sure what is currently installed in Ubuntu, I thought it was networkmanager, yet oddly enough the same package also resides within Kubuntu.

Other distros dont like to play nice on my computer, for instance, MEPIS just gives me a load of I/O errors. I am currently trying Debian with KDE. Same with Linux Mint and Arch and OpenSUSE, thank you for your suggestions, though. I'll try Sidux later.

This particular piece of hardware has a lot of problems with Linux systems. As mentioned in other posts around the Ubuntu forums, heres the list;

Built-in-mic; Non-functional
Battery level; Non functional in most distros
Graphics chipset (propitrey); Inherently non-functional
Wireless; thankfully stable with Ubuntu's default network manager, not really workable with anything else, though.