PDA

View Full Version : What is this suppose to mean?

ukripper
June 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/. Does this imply that they ain't supporting open source anymore or they ain't going to share with others?

Xkutzy
June 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Looks like they are re-organising the web site, and have moved the project stuff to they R & D pages. Try www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects

Giant Speck
June 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
It just means that they won't be updating that particular page. The text does not indicate that they will stop supporting open source projects.

ukripper
June 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
It just means that they won't be updating that particular page. The text does not indicate that they will stop supporting open source projects.

Cheers guys. I got slightly worried when I saw that as i watch a lot of iplayer and didn't want them to move to some silverlight crap like itv

fatality_uk
June 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Cheers guys. I got slightly worried when I saw that as i watch a lot of iplayer and didn't want them to move to some silverlight crap like itv

Nah, that page was originally created in 2005. The BBC very much still use and support OpenSource.

There's more general details about the use of OpenSource at the BBC here:

Tibuda
June 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
There's more general details about the use of OpenSource at the BBC here:

Where?

DeadSuperHero
June 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Speaking of the BBC, how's that Dirac project of theirs coming along? It'd be neat if that also became supported in HTML5's video tag.

OGG Theora - Small-scale short videos.

Dirac- HD Movie!