PDA

View Full Version : Augmented Reality, I want to play games like this.

starcannon
June 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
A very cool video on "AR", and this looks like some serious gaming fun. Of course being able to shoot skittles, or other AR recognisable objects, has incredible commercial value, and one can imagine being able to download printable maps and games at various candy or other retail goods websites.
http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2009/06/now-that-weve-augmented-some-reality-how-bout-blasting-some-zombies/

Daveski
June 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Great link.

Seen these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EA8xlicmT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU

SupaSonic
June 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Impressive stuff. If you could implement something like this with goggles, you could for instance make a game of virtual pool using only the cue without any balls on the table. Very cool.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Impressive stuff. If you could implement something like this with goggles, you could for instance make a game of virtual pool using only the cue without any balls on the table. Very cool.

Yeah. I've been dreaming for a long time about being able to wear goggles with cameras on it so that I could walk around my house or town and augment reality with enemies that I kill. It would look ridiculous, but it would be awesome.

This stuff is a step in the right direction.

kc3
June 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
One question, how do you handle walking for like shooters?

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
One question, how do you handle walking for like shooters?

Just like in the video. It's all caught with the camera. If the camera moves, the graphics change.

kc3
June 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
No what I mean if you use a headset or goggles to play, how would you be able to realistically walk around in a game? I mean, if you physically walk that can't be too safe lol

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
No what I mean if you use a headset or goggles to play, how would you be able to realistically walk around in a game? I mean, if you physically walk that can't be too safe lol

See 90s. Omnidirectional treadmills, stationary hamsterballs, etc. They're nice concepts, but they're not as practical as just having an enhanced reality game of soccer.

You guys should really read Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge, it talks a lot about VR.

CJ Master
June 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Aww man, virtual reality goggles would be so sweet. Imagin, versing Darth Vader to a dual to the death in your own room! or having a virtual shooting galery in your house. Or maybe zombies invading your home, which you have too shoot.

Endless possiblities...

kc3
June 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
See 90s. Omnidirectional treadmills, stationary hamsterballs, etc. They're nice concepts, but they're not as practical as just having an enhanced reality game of soccer.

You guys should really read Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge, it talks a lot about VR.

Yeah, that's what I meant, really didn't seem like there was any practical options unless you're playing those arcade games where you shoot a bunch but don't get to move at all lol

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Well, they already have VR goggles like that where you can be stationary and run things with some kind of controller. I think it would be cool to be able to actually walk around. The headset/computer could translate reality into graphics and add things in to make it interesting. That's the kind of "augmented reality" that I'm waiting on.

Of course, you'd have to keep it within some kind of boundaries for safety sake. In my opinion, all out augmented reality is greater than virtual reality. That's why I'm kind of excited about the video the OP posted. It's a step in the right direction.

omalsa04
June 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,

Check out the wearable computer lab's ARquake game (http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/arquake/)

Basically the whole of UniSA is loaded in as a map, and the GPS unit (+ digital compasses + pattern recognition + inclinometers) on the helmet lets the computer (worn on a belt in the newer designs, formerly as a backpack) know where it is positioned in relation to the buildings =]

I havn't had a chance to actually play with this yet, although I had a lot of fun on the much simpler version called MediQuake. All this does is track your head orientation and make it seem like you are inside the game. You are not supposed to run around, your player is on rails moving about the game so you can just look around, and can shoot the monsters. This was designed for children burn victims, the painful ordeal of having their bandages changed every day is almost forgotten while they are immersed in this game.