PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard Drive space

cardslineman
June 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hello,
Im new to Ubuntu. How much hard drive space is needed? Im using 290 gb of a 300 gb hd for vista and saved 10 gb for Ubuntu. is 10 enough?

skyjacker
June 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hello,
Im new to Ubuntu. How much hard drive space is needed? Im using 290 gb of a 300 gb hd for vista and saved 10 gb for Ubuntu. is 10 enough? I use 2X the amount of memory for the /swap partition, 5 -7 GTB for the /Partition, and at least 10 GB for /home (the more the better here because this holds all your personal files).

QIII
June 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
10 is "enough". The footprint for Ubuntu is about 6. But you have to consider Swap (which should be about as many GB as you have memory on board) and some room for saving files in Home.

How much memory do you have on board?

prvteprts
June 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
10 is "enough". The footprint for Ubuntu is about 6. But you have to consider Swap (which should be about as many GB as you have memory on board) and some room for saving files in Home.

How much memory do you have on board?

+1

Also remember that you would be installing new applications, and these take up space in your Ubuntu partition. For files, you don't need as much as you can store them in the Vista partition (I recommend this because Vista cannot read ext filesystems). I would say give Ubuntu at least 20GB. That should be enough to install all the applications you might need.

QIII
June 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I have two 750GB drives in a dual boot configuration.

I think the only time my Vista drive even gets used any more is when I save stuff there from my Ubuntu drive.