PDA

View Full Version : [other] Wich OS will be fine for my old PC?

Besian
June 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I have an old PC and i want to use it ,but i odnt know wich OS will be better for it ,these are the performances of the PC
Pentium II
4GB Hard Disk
64MB RAM

I have tried to install Damn small linux but it doesent boot UP the OS,dont know whats the problem, i have tried Puppy too but it says canit find pup_420.sfs

wpshooter
June 16th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Is there anything else, i.e. O/Ss and/or data/programs currently on the hard drive ?

spcwingo
June 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Sounds like a bad burn on the Puppy CD.

TheNosh
June 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
definitely a bad burn on the puppy cd, those specs should be fine i think. puppy was my first distro cause i needed the live disk + save file + ability to remove disk while running function (bit of a long story)

i loved it, so i hope it works for you

EDIT: come to think of it a bad burn was probably the issue with damn small linux to, just set the burn speed to really slow (around 4x)

snowpine
June 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Lots of great information in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

I agree that DSL and Puppy are good starting points.

Besian
June 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
But im not insalling the OS-es from CD but from USB
The Hard drive is formatted and i created a linux partition 1.2Gb ,installed on it DSL but it says there is no Active partition on The HDD

ZackM
June 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Try wiping the USB and putting the image back on and go from there. Also you may retry downloading it again from a different source.

Besian
June 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I download and try puppy and DSL in NTFS partition and Linux partition ,maybe it will work

Besian
June 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I dont know whats the problem i cant install any Linux distros in my PC , installed DSL but the PC doesn't boot Up , it says only "there is no active partition on the HDD" ,when i open this HDD with another PC it says "disk is not formated" , i formatted it but the same problem comes up ,install DSL , it doesen't boot up ,open the HDD it says "the disk is not formatted "

If i dont find any Linux distro for my PC , i am obliged to install windows or another OS , i dont have other choice , i cant waste time testing those distros that doesn't function :mad::evil:

Sil Ameth
June 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I dont know whats the problem i cant install any Linux distros in my PC , installed DSL but the PC doesn't boot Up , it says only "there is no active partition on the HDD" ,when i open this HDD with another PC it says "disk is not formated" , i formatted it but the same problem comes up ,install DSL , it doesen't boot up ,open the HDD it says "the disk is not formatted "

If i dont find any Linux distro for my PC , i am obliged to install windows or another OS , i dont have other choice , i cant waste time testing those distros that doesn't function :mad::evil:
I found with my Compaq I had to unplug the sata and put in a IDE hdd then it worked fine for me.

Besian
June 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I have IDE HDD