PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] A few questions

John M2009
June 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM
OK, So I succesfully burned Kubuntu onto CD, and Im thinking of giving it a shot. A few questions before I take the plunge tho...

Are you given the option of which partition you with to install Kubuntu onto? I have 3 and I dont want to install it on top of windows, I want to set up a dual boot system.

Will the installer recognise an NTFS formatted partition and format it for Kubuntu, or does it have to be formatted for linux file system beforehand.

Is there anything else a kubuntu virgin like me should know before going ahead?

Amilo1718
June 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
main question for you is "why the KDE?"
all the rest will be sweet as candy

John M2009
June 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
main question for you is "why the KDE?"
all the rest will be sweet as candy

Why the KDE? Im ****** off with XP

*gives Bill Gates two finger salute* :P

brncao
June 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You can test drive it in Virtualbox or run it off the LiveCD though. The latter being the recommended choice. You cannot install anything over a non-empty partition. You'll need to install it on unallocated free space or delete/shrink the partition.

Timtro
June 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
You can do all of your formatting from a convenient GUI in the Ubuntu install app. You don't need to do any formatting before hand.

When you boot to the live CD, you will be able to test most of the important things, keeping in mind that any changes you make the the environment aren't permanent, since the whole thing will be running off of your RAM! As a windows user, it will be quite a luxury for you to install the OS from within a fully functional desktop.

I might recommend using Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu, but that's only because I've heard of some stability issues from the latest KDE. I have no personal experience with KDE which would prompt me to ward you away. I'm personally a Gnome user (the default desktop manager of Ubuntu), so that's my own bias. I also heard on TuXRadar Podcast recently that Linus Torvalds (the kernel god) switched from KDE to Gnome. Anyhow, I'll not press the matter further.

Oh yes, and I'll wave that particular finger at ol' Billy boy while we're in the moment.

Good luck with Linux. I'm sure you find the switch a challenge. You'll be tempted to go back at times. Fight the urge, because it will be worth it in the end. You have plenty of support on the forums if you need any help.

Best,

Tim.

Timtro
June 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
... keeping in mind that any changes you make the the environment aren't permanent...

I'll add that by environment, I mean anything to do with the desktop environment. If you make changes to your hard drive, they are of course permanent.

John M2009
June 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I just been looking for a download of the Live version, but cant find it anywhere on the site, or am i looking in wrong place?

merlinus
June 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Before trying to shrink your xp partition, delete temp and other unneeded files, defrag a few times, and back up critical data.