PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Second Reboot Freezes Sysytem...

He's Dead Jim
June 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
hi everyone...

i did a full install on an older system, and it went really well...

when it was over, the system rebooted, i removed the cd, and the desktop came up...

i connected to the internet and was able to bounce around like i wanted, and i tried a few of the apps...

i shut down like normal, and when i went to boot this morning, everything looked ok until it got to the desktop...

the video was scrambled, the little circle where the mouse pointer should be wouldn't move, and the only way i could shut down was to press ctrl/alt/delete once and then press the button on the front of the pc...

this happened once before and i thought it was a bad install so i had started from scratch on a different system...

any help would be appreciated.....

thanks..

reeseslover531
June 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
what hardware is this running on?

He's Dead Jim
June 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
pentium 3 1ghz intel processor, 512 ram, 40gb hard drive, cdrom, compaq lcd monitor...

reeseslover531
June 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
do you see any error messages anywhere? Not sure what it is, has this ever happened with any other OSs?

He's Dead Jim
June 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
do you see any error messages anywhere? Not sure what it is, has this ever happened with any other OSs?

nope...

no messages and never happened before....

here's a pic....

http://i39.tinypic.com/wwgi8w.png

i am able to access the recovery menu but i don't know what to do with it...

He's Dead Jim
June 17th, 2009, 02:39 AM
ok, so i had previously installed version 8.10 on the above computer when i was having that problem...

today, i installed version 9.04 and i don't have that problem anymore...

are there any sort of diagnostic programs that i can run to find out why i was having that problem, because now it's gonna bug me...

He's Dead Jim
August 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
after about 5 startups, i am right back to the above picture...

*sigh*

anybody?

gorgon
August 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
ok,

im not an expert but.. the problem is probably your graphics setting, in your x configuration file (xorg.conf)
try what's in this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7722240&postcount=3

and tell us how it goes:)