PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot question

LinuxBob
June 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 (actually Mythbuntu) and would like to know if it is now possible to create an XP partition? If so, how?

I have a HP Media Center desktop PC. When I installed ubuntu I overwrote everything, a clean install. I hate to have to go back and reinstall XP then do a Ubuntu Partition.

I need Slingplayer and 9.04 is not easily capable of running that app.

raymondh
June 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 (actually Mythbuntu) and would like to know if it is now possible to create an XP partition? If so, how?

I have a HP Media Center desktop PC. When I installed ubuntu I overwrote everything, a clean install. I hate to have to go back and reinstall XP then do a Ubuntu Partition.

I need Slingplayer and 9.04 is not easily capable of running that app.

Hello LinuxBob,

Hope this link can guide you. I understand that it involves Vista but the process is the same.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm

Good luck.

LinuxBob
June 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Wow that is perfect!

Do you know anything about Virtual box? Would it be easier to install XP there and then slingplayer? I have the HP system disks only (I think there are 7 of them) to install XP MCE.

raymondh
June 16th, 2009, 02:59 AM
On my linux machine, I use Virtualbox with a bunch of distros in it. I have not tested/benchmarked its' performance as I primarily use this virtualization program lightly. There are 2 types. The main difference/hardship (for me) is the USB support. On my mac, I use WMWare (with XP and Ubuntu in it) and have had no regrets there.

As for how easy would it be to install XP in virtualbox ... let me try tonight and I'll post back if you want (errors or success)

Good luck,

LinuxBob
June 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
HI Raymond,

Any luck?

I am not too concerned about USB problems as my sole interest is running SLingplayer on XP. Virtualbox or VMWare woudl be great because, as I understand it, it would allow me to access XP and thus Slingplayer without the reboot into XP that a dual boot system would require.

Thanks for your help

LinuxBob
June 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Any news?

raymondh
June 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Any news?

sorry for the delay.... did not notice the thread... cannot find my XP install disc .... let me look for the Vista.

Sorry for the delay. Kids and summer, you know how it goes :)

raymondh
June 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
OK ...

Found my old XP disc and installed in VB 2 on a test machine (the one with the distros ... not the mac with VMWare... so you should be able to use it as well. Used these links as reference

http://ma65p.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/successfully-install-window-xp-on-virtualbox/
http://techticker.net/2008/04/08/virtual-xp-on-ubuntu-via-virtualbox/

Now, am having problems with Vista when I try to install it on VB. Googling around, I see the need to install drivers as well as difficulties with ATI cards..... am not doing that as I have no need to Vista on my test machine....

Vista removed.

I also see problems/difficulties with gaming. I don't know how it would affect your slingplayer (I have not tried that).

My use of VB on the test machine is to test distros (mainly) and Ubuntu and see how it compares to my liking. In my mac, my use of VMWare and XP is to access some files and sites that prefer to use windows apps. I can use firefox with the appropriate plugin tp access windows' sites but prefer to use safari (I like the beta 4) on my mac.

Give it a try :)

Good luck.