PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem reading audio CDs with blank tracks

deusdiabolus
June 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have been converting most of my audio CDs to .FLAC, and I have encountered a problem with two of them (so far). The problem appears to involve CDs that have bonus tracks that are separated from the rest of the album by a number of 1 to 5 second blank tracks (the two in question are Tool's Undertow and a single-disc copy of Nine Inch Nails' Broken). When I insert the CD, the drive spins up and then spins down, but the desktop never shows an audio CD icon and if I have a CD extractor program running, it doesn't notice there's a CD at all. After that, every 2 minutes or so the drive will attempt to read the CD again, with the same result - but it won't let me use the eject button to remove it, I have to use the manual eject hole and grab the tray before it pulls it back in.

The drive is an LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B. I searched the model and while a couple of other people have reported problems with the drive, no one has mentioned the specific problem I'm having. What I wanted to know is: Would this be more likely to be a software problem or a hardware problem? And if it's a hardware problem, is it a common occurrence with CDs like this under Linux, or is it more than likely just my drive? (If it's more than likely the drive, I have another one I could install...I just thought I would ask this first.)