PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opening .Ink or .mdb files

Scunnered
June 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
After a lot of kind assistance I have been able to access files from an XP system. However having accessed the file that I particularly want to work with I find that it ends with .Ink in one instance and in another folder it opens showing .mdb.

On attempting to open either file the following error displays:

"The file is of an unknown type"

Google search comes up with information saying these are Microsoft items. So far I have been unable to find out if there is a Linux equivalent that will enable me to work with either file type.

What surprises me with what I see is that as I accessed the hard drive that even Microsoft programs are showing up with the .Ink file type.

How may I work with the file. Can you offer any solution?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Celauran
June 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
.lnk files are just shortcuts. Assuming you know where they point, you can always re-create them using ln -s.

.mdb files are MS Access files, which may be a little trickier to open. OpenOffice might do the trick, but I can't say for certain as I don't use Access.

Cheesemill
June 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
If you mean .lnk instead of .ink then these are Microsoft shortcut files.
All these do is point to another file on the hard drive.

Scunnered
June 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
My thanks to you both for your replies.

After a closer look at what is displayed it looks more like "L" lnk rather than "I" Ink. Any attempt to open the file only gives the error message no matter what I try.

I think I will ask on the OO forum if .mdb can be opened by their software.

Celauran

When you advise "you can always re-create them using ln -s." can you advise how I may do this.

What was on the surface was something simple has now developed into a nightmare so any assistance you can offer will be most appreciated. I was under the impression that all I had to do was to be able to access it from XP and all would be well. So much for that theory.

Again thanks vm

ugm6hr
June 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
OpenOffice will not open Access files.

Only Access will open them. I read that Kexi could, but never managed to get my Access 2000 database to open.

I ended up having to recreate it in OO.org

freeman2000
June 16th, 2009, 02:53 AM
OpenOffice Base can do limited stuff with MS Access (.mdb) files. See the attached wiki. Good luck.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MSA-Base_Faq

Scunnered
June 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
My thanks to you all for your kind assistance.

This problem is well beyond my capacity so I think that it will have to be plan D.

Plan D is hunt the laptop that has the programme that I want to use. This seems to be a less stressing option that having to wrestle with the mysteries of M$.

Again thanks