PDA

View Full Version : Work is becoming hard to find : (

uberlube
June 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
This is the first recession i have seen in my working life and its really starting to suck. I never had a hard time finding work before and i consider myself quite skilled and experienced.... but pickings are so slim that I applied to for a delivery job last week and was turned down because they felt i am "overqualified". On top of all this Canada's unemployment rate has gone up and alot more people are using services such as EI making it more difficult for people like me to apply. Even though I qualified for the service under their own guidelines, they are still trying to turn me away. This whole situation is starting to get very frustrating and i felt like ranting a bit. Are any of you sharing my frustrations?

wirepuller134
June 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Our area is an exception, it's still business as usual. But it's all food industry. Sorry to hear your having trouble hope it pans out.

fatality_uk
June 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear your in this situation. We will come out of the recession , but not for the next 9-12 months at least.

You have to "tailor" your CV/application/resume when applying for jobs that you are over qualified for. A 30 minute rework of a CV can take you from being a dept. heas controlling a $2,000,000 budget, to an IT worker with wide responsibilities. try not to lie, but for roles such as delivery job, your CV has to reflect a more general status

uberlube
June 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
thnx. i hope so too.

uberlube
June 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ya your prolly right about the resume. I just feel guilty about doing stuff like that.

froggyswamp
June 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
It's not really tough as in tough, the people in developed countries are used to call "disaster" scenarios where the unemployment rate goes up like 4%. What I call a "real" disaster is countries like those from Africa. Trough the 1920-1940 USA's "great" depression was a joke compared to what is the "normal" state in other countries. All over the world there (almost) always has been a different way among people to perceive the truth and whether it sucks a lot or doesn't, it's down to everyone's personal past and present experience.

fatality_uk
June 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Ya your prolly right about the resume. I just feel guilty about doing stuff like that.

I know what you mean. I have had a couple of "pangs" about doing that on the odd occasion where I needed a temp job to cover me for a period. But at the end of the day, I don't like state benefits, I want to pay my way in the world and I have to keep the roof over my families head and put bread on the table.

Sef
June 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM

It's fine to leave things off your resume. It is not fine to lie on your resume. Stick with the former and all will be ok.

MikeTheC
June 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
@OP:

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing here. I've been out of work since October, and I don't see the situation getting any better, to be honest.

The thing is that I think most people have this expectation that "It will just get better in time" but I don't hold to that believe simply because there's too many things going wrong that aren't even being looked at, etc. I really can't go to much further with this because it becomes fairly political fairly quickly, but just suffice to say a lot of things need to be sorted out and fixed, and until and unless they are, this problem isn't going to go away. If anything, it will probably get worse.

mamamia88
June 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
guess i'm lucky to still be in college

uberlube
June 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
guess i'm lucky to still be in college

Im trying to get into college atm as well but its gonna be rough living on my own and trying to find work at he same time kol

mamamia88
June 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
good luck with that

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
It's not really tough as in tough, the people in developed countries are used to call "disaster" scenarios where the unemployment rate goes up like 4%. What I call a "real" disaster is countries like those from Africa. Trough the 1920-1940 USA's "great" depression was a joke compared to what is the "normal" state in other countries. All over the world there (almost) always has been a different way among people to perceive the truth and whether it sucks a lot or doesn't, it's down to everyone's personal past and present experience.

I heard some elderly gentleman who was either born around, or close enough to the great depression to understand, said that a difference between today and back then was back then they didn't have anything to loose. It was all just to get food on the table, clothes on the back, etc.

It's not like they feared loosing their iPod, netbook, internet or any other toy we take for granted now yet can live without (maybe with some withdrawal twitching.. but you CAN live without twitter! ;) )

aikiwolfie
June 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
This is the first recession i have seen in my working life and its really starting to suck. I never had a hard time finding work before and i consider myself quite skilled and experienced.... but pickings are so slim that I applied to for a delivery job last week and was turned down because they felt i am "overqualified". On top of all this Canada's unemployment rate has gone up and alot more people are using services such as EI making it more difficult for people like me to apply. Even though I qualified for the service under their own guidelines, they are still trying to turn me away. This whole situation is starting to get very frustrating and i felt like ranting a bit. Are any of you sharing my frustrations?

Trim your CV dude. It's a common problem at the moment. Take off your degrees and diplomas and such.

kc3
June 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Im trying to get into college atm as well but its gonna be rough living on my own and trying to find work at he same time kol

Oh man I totaly hear ya, I'm in my last year and have been living on my own pretty much the whole time, it's definitely not easy but it can be done, even if you have to spend a LOT of your time doing stuff that isn't fun at all.

hanzomon4
June 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I've been trying to find a job since January. It starting to hurt on a personal level being turned down all the time. It's like some one is trying to tell me I don't deserve to exist. I mean if I don't have job I won't have a place to live, won't be able to eat, go to school.. Life just sucks right now.

Sealbhach
June 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Work is seriously overrated. Most people who have jobs dream of doing something else.

zekopeko
June 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
My fellow capitalists, this is how recessions roll :cool:.
In style.

steev182
June 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Of course a lot of people dream of this, but unfortunately with bills to pay, we have to do the best we can...

billgoldberg
June 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I've been without a job for since the beginning of the year.

It's depressing as ****, but I try to not let it get to me.

Friends bitching about it isn't helping either, they think they are helping but they aren't.

I might suck it up for a while and go work as a dish washer or something, that's how desperate I am.

cariboo
June 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I left my last job by choice, I couldn't find another job, so I'm in the process of creating my own.

phrostbyte
June 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Of course a lot of people dream of this, but unfortunately with bills to pay, we have to do the best we can...

A world where no one has to work to make a living is within our reach, I think.

Sealbhach
June 15th, 2009, 08:15 PM
A world where no one has to work to make a living is within our reach, I think.

When I was a kid the TV told me that in the future, robots would do all the work for us. I thought, "GREAT! How lucky I am to be born at the cusp of an epoch when man is liberated from the bondage of toil". Instead, it turned out people worked longer hours and harder than ever just to keep their jobs. :)

Seriously though, it's tough to worry about the bills but it's all relative, people are starving to death on this planet right now, millions more are in actual real slavery. So, we're the lucky ones, no matter what happens.

Rainstride
June 15th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I've been without a job for since the beginning of the year.

It's depressing as ****, but I try to not let it get to me.

Friends bitching about it isn't helping either, they think they are helping but they aren't.

I might suck it up for a while and go work as a dish washer or something, that's how desperate I am.

its is NO different here man. iv been out of a job since like October last year. its starting to drive me crazy:(.

I left my last job by choice, I couldn't find another job, so I'm in the process of creating my own.

tried that it failed for me.though its all about location;).