PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't boot

sciencegirl
June 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi!

I have Ubuntu and Windows Vista Business installed on my Dell Prcision T7400. Both were booting fine until last week. Now Ubuntu only boots maybe once in every ten attempts. When Ubuntu won't boot I get the following error message:

ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr corrupt or missing

Windows always boots fine.

Can anyone help me get Ubuntu up and running again? I miss it. :(

Thanks!!!
Abby

salvachn
June 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
You use WUBI, right? If you either suspend or hibernate Vista, or if Vista shuts down improperly(it does most of the times!) then the drives containing Hibernation and Paging files cannot be accessed by Ubuntu or any other distro at startup. So take care not to try booting Ubuntu after hibernating Vista or an improper shutdown.

Otherwise http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=799547&sid=26c47dc36e879e98ac7910de9d758303 has some help.

sciencegirl
June 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I always try to boot into Ubuntu from a restart - never a hibernation or bad shutdown.

I tried the bootrec.exe/fixmbr - it said it was successful but Ubuntu still won't boot and I still get the same error message as above.

Anything else I can try?

sciencegirl
June 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I asked this question in the General Help but the answer I got didn't work so I thought I would try here.

I have Ubuntu and Windows Vista Business installed on my Dell Prcision T7400. Both were booting fine until last week. Now Ubuntu only boots maybe once in every ten attempts. When Ubuntu won't boot I get the following error message:

I tried using the System Recovery Disc and Bootrec.exe/FixMbr - it said it fixed it but Ubuntu still won't boot and I get the same error message.

Can anyone help me get Ubuntu up and running again? I miss it. :(

Thanks!!!
Abby

pixel :-)
June 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
try on this forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

I'm not familiar with wubi, but ask some one to post his "wubildr.mbr"

backup yours, and replace it, maybe it will work

sciencegirl
June 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I asked this question in the General Help but the answer I got didn't work so I thought I would try here.

I tried using the System Recovery Disc and Bootrec.exe/FixMbr - it said it fixed it but Ubuntu still won't boot and I get the same error message.

Can anyone help me get Ubuntu up and running again? I miss it. :sad:

Thanks!!!
Abby

sciencegirl
June 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you - I will try!

overdrank
June 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Please do not create multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged. :)

metalf8801
June 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've had problems like this after a my computer was turn off improperly (because Visa crashed). What seems to fix the problem is using check disk in vista. Its something to try even if your computer wasn't turn off improperly.
here's a how to: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

I hope this helps
Dan

sciencegirl
June 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hooray! Ubuntu is alive and well again. The checkdisk worked!

Thank you sooooo much!

metalf8801
June 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hooray! Ubuntu is alive and well again. The checkdisk worked!

Thank you sooooo much!

Thats great I'm happy I could help

sciencegirl
July 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm back... Same thing happened. Ubuntu crashed and now won't boot. I get the same error message:

\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
0xc000000e

I've run the startup repair from the installation disc for windows (10 times!) and I've run the windows checkdisk 5 times (it takes 4 hours each time... :( ). I've also copied the wubildr.mbr onto every drive. No luck!

Please please help! I have an analysis due next week and I need Ubuntu to run it!

Many Thanks,
Abby

LewRockwell
July 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm back... Same thing happened. Ubuntu crashed and now won't boot. I get the same error message:

\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
0xc000000e

I've run the startup repair from the installation disc for windows (10 times!) and I've run the windows checkdisk 5 times (it takes 4 hours each time... :( ). I've also copied the wubildr.mbr onto every drive. No luck!

Please please help! I have an analysis due next week and I need Ubuntu to run it!

Many Thanks,
Abby

those unclean dismounts are hell

after you got it up and running last time did you get a good back-up done?

I'd imagine running the fixmbr would get you back to booting windows at least...

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

sciencegirl
July 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the advice! Windows boots up just fine. It's Ubuntu that won't boot! :(