PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Ubuntu putting ads on the web?

gymophett
June 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Nothing major ya know? Just something to let people know there is a stable, free, friendly user, fast, and secure OS out there.
Most people have no clue what Ubuntu or Linux is, and after I put them on 3 peoples computer, all three were blown away with the speed and no virus worry. So why don't they just post Ads on Google, or Youtube? Like Windows does?

cariboo
June 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I just saw a press release that said that 10% of every dollar we spend buying an Ubuntu distribution will be earmarked for advertising. :)

zika
June 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I just saw a press release that said that 10% of every dollar we spend buying an Ubuntu distribution will be earmarked for advertising. :)I protest! That is too much and will make price increase inevitable ... :) Price we are paying now is enough ... :) It is OK to use money got from donations to advertise but not the money from regular paying customers ... :)

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I protest! That is too much and will make price increase inevitable ... :) Price we are paying now is enough ... :) It is OK to use money got from donations to advertise but not the money from regular paying customers ... :)

Well then how do you expect them to make advertisments? They aren't cheap, and I doubt they can advertise on donations alone.

hatten
June 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I just saw a press release that said that 10% of every dollar we spend buying an Ubuntu distribution will be earmarked for advertising. :)
10% of 0 is 0, right?

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Nothing major ya know? Just something to let people know there is a stable, free, friendly user, fast, and secure OS out there.
Most people have no clue what Ubuntu or Linux is, and after I put them on 3 peoples computer, all three were blown away with the speed and no virus worry. So why don't they just post Ads on Google, or Youtube? Like Windows does?
why should they do that?

why should people know what Linux or Ubuntu is? If someone is interested in this topic, he will find it - without advertising

darthmob
June 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
so for the regular internet user it will be 'the weird orange thing called obonga which pisses me off as I can't click away the layerad'? 'one of those pesky popups that tell me they have got something secure and simple for free? they won't trick me!'

PS: I have never seen a microsoft ad while browsing (might have to do with adblock ;)).

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
why should they do that?

why should people know what Linux or Ubuntu is? If someone is interested in this topic, he will find it - without advertising

Well some people don't even know other operating systems exist other then Windows.

collinp
June 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
People barely ever read ads, most people just see them as annoyances and go on. Plus, one flashing in your face is going to make the person love what it is advertising *so* much :P.

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well some people don't even know other operating systems exist other then Windows.
and? who cares?

fatality_uk
June 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM

DOH!! Had to read that again. The antibiotics are makin my brain fuzzy :D

abhilashm86
June 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
well we can advertise ubuntu in our blogs and at functions, so that people become curious and ask abut ubuntu........
in my orkut account i've uploaded most compiz and stylish pictures and due to it, maybe 12 friends tried ubuntu, also in my college i've installed 8 people ubuntu in usb drive(they don't have internet)...............

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Linux relies on word-of-mouth, whether through blogs, LUGs, installfests or individuals. Great thing about that is that face-to-face social advertising works much better than banners/commercials/billboards at getting people to try or remember the product.