PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'Places' menu not working

gauravwaghmare
June 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Help me Please. The Places menu on the taskbar is not working. I cannot open cd-rom, documents, music, anything plus many applications such as brasero cd burner, report a problem, file browser, and many more are not working. I can not see anything placed on the desktop. Please helpp me. Thanks.

nixi
June 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hello

Do you get an error message?

I have a laptop computer with the same or similar problem. I get an error message saying that no program (Nautilus, I presume) is registered to handle the file (i.e. the directory I am trying to open. I get this error for all places inside and including my username's directory. However, places such as Network, or Computer, open up as they should, and from there (i.e. with the bookmarks in the Nautilus window) I can browse to those places.

One way to add or edit files (or bookmarks) under the Places menu is to open Nautilus (if you can't open any of the files under the Places menu you can use the Terminal under the Programs menu and type nautilus+enter to launch it), browse to the place you wish to have in the Places menu, and in Nautilus either click "Add bookmark" or "Edit Bookmarks".

Regarding the other errors you percieve: you shouldn't see anything placed on the desktop (unless you placed something there yourself). And programs (like Brasero etc) should be accessed from the Programs menu; not Places. Did you have a working system before those errors?