PDA

View Full Version : Compiz-fusion is cool but prefer Metacity

juanoleso
June 15th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I just thought I'd give a shout out to Metacity. I have a five year old computer that can't handle compiz-fusion, vlc, and firefox running at the same time. Metacity is quick and responsive and the few things it does work flawlessly and are helpful.

Compiz-fusion is fantastic looking and beats anything that M$ has hands down, but again my aging computer couldn't handle it and I had a few problems like window resize wouldn't work right.

I'm glad to have both choices and maybe I'll keep compiz-fusion on when i get a new computer, but for now it is Metacity for me.

Chemical Imbalance
June 15th, 2009, 02:57 AM
You might like this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1185362

Marlonsm
June 15th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Use whatever work for you, Metacity is fine if you can't run Compiz.

Sef
June 15th, 2009, 03:22 AM
moved to community cafe.

juancarlospaco
June 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Compiz don't replace Metacity, i use Metacity and Compiz.
Emerald replace Metacity.

Scruffynerf
June 15th, 2009, 06:34 AM
BTW: From Jaunty, Metacity now does it's own compositing. No need for Compiz at all.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM
compiz don't replace metacity, i use metacity and compiz.
emerald replace metacity.

+1

Compiz is a desktop manager.

Metacity and Emerald are window managers.

Pogeymanz
June 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
+1

Compiz is a desktop manager.

Metacity and Emerald are window managers.

Is that right? This is the way I've always understood it:

I'm pretty sure that something that moves my windows around, tells them where to appear and allows me to close/minimize them should be called a "window manager" whereas, I always thought that Emerald was a "window decorator". On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that Metacity is actually killed and that Compiz just uses a decorator called "gtk-window-decorator", or something like that, to use Metacity themes.

So, I thought:
Compiz and Metacity are window managers.
Emerald and gtk-window-decorator are window decorators.
And Compiz and Metacity are never running at the same time.

Chemical Imbalance
June 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
You can use Compiz by itself, without Metacity.

Sealbhach
June 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
When I'm playing a game I select Openbox as my window manager, using the Compiz Fusion icon. I figure it uses less resources than Metacity.

t0p
June 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I don't reckon much to Compiz. I mean, it's all well and good for astounding the natives, but what else is eye-candy good for? Apart from slowing down my machine.

Maybe I'd look at it differently if my desktop machine wasn't such an ancient POS. But maybe not. The nearest I ever come to prettifying my computers is changing the desktop theme and backgrounds. I've got Desktop Drapes enabled on this computer, set to change randomly every 15 minutes. W00t!! But forget Compiz!!

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Compiz (on Ubuntu) uses the GTK-Window-Decorator which emulates the features of Metacity. I would assume it is much more to process than just plain Metacity.