View Full Version : [gnome] auto play dvd on NVidia 'separate x screen' 1

June 15th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I have an NVidia card which I use to display another x screen on a tv. I would like to be able to pop a dvd in the drive and have a media player start and play the dvd fullscreen on the other screen. The screen is labeled 1 under the Nvidia control panel and I am using GNOME. Any links or additional information would be great and I prefer VLC, but any media player would do.

June 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Is this even possible? Any external links would be great or any reading...

I'm using the NVidia drivers provided from their site. The card is a 5700LE and I am running Debian Lenny. I have no trouble getting VLC up on the other screen, I'm just looking to have it all done automatically.

How about, is there a way to run some kind of debug while GNOME is running to see the commands it uses to display vlc on the other screen? (of course, I might not even know what I'm talking about... ^_^)

I tried setting the TV as screen 0 but as soon as I log out and log back in it is set automatically back to screen 1.

Thanks in advance

June 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
This post might be helpful to you.

June 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM

thank you.

June 26th, 2009, 02:07 AM
For anybody that finds this post, I went to system -> preferences -> Removable Drives and Media. I did the multimedia tab and I checked Play video DVD discs when inserted. The command I put in was

env DISPLAY=:0.1 vlc dvd:///media/cdrom -f

which autoplays the DVD on screen 1 and then sets it to fullscreen.