PDA

View Full Version : Mono Threads Disappearing?

aikiwolfie
June 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I just read this Boycott Novell blog entry (http://boycottnovell.com/2009/06/13/comments-forums-ubuntu-re-mono-deleted/) claiming threads discussing Mono, particularly those that are critical of Mono, are disappearing. Disappearing? Really? Are threads that discuss this apparently hot potato that is Mono really being removed by the MODs?

I am curious as to exactly what is going on here. Most of the time I'm happy if my PC just works. Mono doesn't present any problems for me. Microsoft are unlikely to come knocking on my door and demand payment. It's more likely they'll knock on Canonicals' door and demand payment.

What I do find disturbing though is the possibility that genuine free and fair open discussion on Ubuntu forums is being suppressed. Now normally I take Boycott Novell blog entries with a pinch of salt. So I want to be sure that there is no truth to this at all. Absolutely none.

So again the question is. Is this really happening? Are Mono discussion threads being suppressed and removed? If they are then why? What is it that is being said that is so bad nobody else is allowed to even read it?

FuturePilot
June 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
They're not being removed. Look in the Recurring Discussions forum, there's about 20 of them...

Swarms
June 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Plus, people could just stick to the existing topics, its like they are trying to reinvent the wheel every time.

Regenweald
June 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I just read this Boycott Novell blog entry (http://boycottnovell.com/2009/06/13/comments-forums-ubuntu-re-mono-deleted/) claiming threads discussing Mono, particularly those that are critical of Mono, are disappearing. Disappearing? Really? Are threads that discuss this apparently hot potato that is Mono really being removed by the MODs?

I am curious as to exactly what is going on here. Most of the time I'm happy if my PC just works. Mono doesn't present any problems for me. Microsoft are unlikely to come knocking on my door and demand payment. It's more likely they'll knock on Canonicals' door and demand payment.

What I do find disturbing though is the possibility that genuine free and fair open discussion on Ubuntu forums is being suppressed. Now normally I take Boycott Novell blog entries with a pinch of salt. So I want to be sure that there is no truth to this at all. Absolutely none.

So again the question is. Is this really happening? Are Mono discussion threads being suppressed and removed? If they are then why? What is it that is being said that is so bad nobody else is allowed to even read it?

Site ADMIN started this thread:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7453193#post7453193 among TENS of others to facilitate healthy pro/anti mono discussion. Flooding the forum with multiple threads about the EXACT SAME THING is stupid.

Mehall
June 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Your thread is still here.

if they were going to censor things, stuff like this is what they would censor.

Your thread is still here.

drawkcab
June 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I've never really understood mono. What the hell is it?

CJ Master
June 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM

A programing IDE with Novell the main developers. It's based of the propriety .NET framework.

directhex
June 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM

A development framework. It's an implementation of ECMA334/335, along with other implementations such as dotGNU Portable.NET and Microsoft.NET. On Ubuntu, F-Spot and Tomboy are apps made with Mono.

ghindo
June 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It's almost as if Mono threads qualified as a recurring discussion... :-k

aikiwolfie
June 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the feed back people! :D

zekopeko
June 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Your post is a rare sight of logic this days, sir.

aikiwolfie
June 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks.