PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get NVIDIA driver

swappo1
June 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hello,

How would I get and install the driver for GeForce 9100 on 8.04? If I go to administration and click on Hardware Drivers it is not coming up with any and it is not doing a search for hardware drivers.

swappo1
June 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I tried searching for ubuntu-restricted-extras in synaptic package manager. I insalled all that came up and still now NVIDIA driver is found by my system. Next I tried manually installing the driver from NVIDIA's site. I shut down the X server and tried to install the driver from the CLI. It said I could not install the driver because I did not have libc development package installed. What is the libc development package and where can I get it? I really need help on this. I have tried everything and am getting nowhere. All I want is to get my screen set the the right resolution(1920x1080).

mikewhatever
June 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Any particular reason to use 8.04? The newest nvidia driver available in its repositories is 169.12 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/nvidia-glx-new), and I doubt it has support for your card. Any chance you can use 9.04 instead?

swappo1
June 15th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I did install the driver on 9.04 and I got the screen resolution to work but my computer was crashing/freezing everytime I opened firefox or a terminal. I couldn't find out how to fix the problem and my computer was totally unsuable. I was hoping I could get it to work on 8.04.

TheBuzzSaw
June 15th, 2009, 02:00 AM
The Nvidia provide nForce drivers for Linux?

mikewhatever
June 15th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I did install the driver on 9.04 and I got the screen resolution to work but my computer was crashing/freezing everytime I opened firefox or a terminal. I couldn't find out how to fix the problem and my computer was totally unsuable. I was hoping I could get it to work on 8.04.

Assuming the thread related to the installation of 9.04 is this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1186946), I have to ask, 'Did you have the crashes before manually editing xorg.conf?'

swappo1
June 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
No, I didn't have any crashing before the installation of the driver. In fact, if I change the settings of the NVIDIA X Server Settings back to 1600x1200 and click apply, the settings change back. Then I edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to reflect the resolution of 1600x1200, save and reboot and the crashing stops.