PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Thinking of installing Kubuntu

John M2009
June 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Im thinking of installing Kubuntu onto my PC, but I am a little concerned about whether I will be able to find drivers for all my hardware. Am also worried that none of my windows based software will work, although I know there are programs that allow one to run windows based programs on an kubuntu platform. Being a newbie to kubuntu, I know very little about it as I have been using windows for the past 9 years, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

theozzlives
June 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Im thinking of installing Kubuntu onto my PC, but I am a little concerned about whether I will be able to find drivers for all my hardware. Am also worried that none of my windows based software will work, although I know there are programs that allow one to run windows based programs on an kubuntu platform. Being a newbie to kubuntu, I know very little about it as I have been using windows for the past 9 years, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of programs that can be used as a replacement for your Windows software. There is also WINE that emulates Windows, there's VirtualBox where you can install Windows, and finally there's dual boot. Which ever works best for you. Try the live CD to see if your hardware works for you.

murray92
June 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums.
Firstly, if you're worried about not having hardware drivers, you can install through wubi before migrating to a real partition. This will let you see if you have any major hardware issues and let you see if you like linux.
A lot of windows applications run perfectly through WINE. Occasionally there are minor bugs, but there are many alternative applications for linux. If there is something you really need, you can dual-boot with windows aswell like me, or install a virtual machine.
If you have any other questions just ask :)

EDIT: An alternative to wubi would be to use a live CD to test your hardware. It may run quite slowly but a full install will run much more quickly

theozzlives
June 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums.
Firstly, if you're worried about not having hardware drivers, you can install through wubi before migrating to a real partition. This will let you see if you have any major hardware issues and let you see if you like linux.
A lot of windows applications run perfectly through WINE. Occasionally there are minor bugs, but there are many alternative applications for linux. If there is something you really need, you can dual-boot with windows aswell like me, or install a virtual machine.
If you have any other questions just ask :)

EDIT: An alternative to wubi would be to use a live CD to test your hardware. It may run quite slowly but a full install will run much more quickly

I don't think you can do WUBI (Windows UBuntu Installer). OP wants Kubuntu.

murray92
June 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't think you can do WUBI (Windows UBuntu Installer). OP wants Kubuntu.

I first installed 8.10 through wubi and it gave me the option to install ubuntu kubuntu or xubuntu. I assume its still the same, but good point, I may be wrong on that

Edit: just checked, and wubi 9.04 allows you to install ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu or mythbuntu

John M2009
June 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I do have a partition which is free at the moment, so I guess I could just install it on that, that way I dont end up screwing up windows. Thanks for all your responses guys.

murray92
June 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
No problem, just trying to help. Good luck