PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Twin View

Cillys
June 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Ok .. got a question about twin view and the background image ...

How do i make it so that the background is center'd on each monitor ... as it is now ... a single background image is center'd across the two monitor i have ....??

but what is funny is when i reboot ... then each monitor has its own copy of the background image ...

that is what i'm trying to ask ... when i am in the Gnome desktop .. how to make it so that each monitor has it's copy of the background image ... and not sharing a single copy and then center'd across the two monitors ... ???

I have Nvidia video ... juanty ...

i do not want seperate x-windows either ... i want it like under windows .... extend your desktop to the 2nd monitor ... but under windows the 2nd monitor gets its on copy of the bckground image ...

i want to be able have a pic of my g/f center'd on each monitor ... not across 2 monitors .. and effecttively cuts her in half ....

txs ..

gradinaruvasile
June 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Right click on desktop
Select change desktop background
Select the picture
Style:tiled

Cillys
June 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
it is not tiled ... all that does is tile the picture across the 2 monitors ...

i want a single image .. center'd on each monitor ....

gradinaruvasile
June 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Did u select this option?

Cillys
June 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
i give up ... really ... tile is not the answer ...i do not want the image tiled across 2 monitors ...

i want each monitor to center the background ....

that only works for the default background ... what did i say .. i want to use a pic of my g/f ...

that does not work and is not the answer .... it will most likely be a 3rd party util ... or a tweak in a theme manager ....

Clopin
June 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
i give up ... really ... tile is not the answer ...i do not want the image tiled across 2 monitors ...

i want each monitor to center the background ....

that only works for the default background ... what did i say .. i want to use a pic of my g/f ...

that does not work and is not the answer .... it will most likely be a 3rd party util ... or a tweak in a theme manager ....

I have the same problem, yet I havent found any solution.
To explain it to the other guys:

[_] <- Monitor 1 [_] <- Monitor 2

[_] X [_]
The image is centered there (X), instead of centered on each monitor. The background image seem to think that the 2 monitors are 1 monitor.

Cillys
June 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have the same problem, yet I havent found any solution.
To explain it to the other guys:

[_] <- Monitor 1 [_] <- Monitor 2

[_] X [_]
The image is centered there (X), instead of centered on each monitor. The background image seem to think that the 2 monitors are 1 monitor.

EXACTLY!!!!!

that is what i am talking about .....why is it so hard to understand ...????

gradinaruvasile
June 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Well i did understand this one from the get-go. I do work on a computer with TwinView.
But if i "tile" the image i have the same picture in both monitors
Like this:
[x][x]

:)

But i always use images with the same resolution as my monitots and thus i will get perfectly centered images.

doas777
June 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
ok, i think I see what is going on here. select strech, instead of tile, try scaled, zoomed, or full screen.

the functionality i think you want is exactly what i always get by default. i personally wish it would display a seperate image for each screen, but... oh well.

also, after configuring twinview, you need to reboot. you likely did that long ago, but just in case....

EDIT:

or mabey i have it backward. I think the key to gradinaruvasile (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=589640)'s advice, is that the images should be of the same res as the monitor on which it is being displayed. if it is smaller, then you will get more than 2 tiles (Left and Right) or if it is larger, it will crop (or scale, I forget). you could try changing the image res in gimp.

Cillys
June 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
or mabey i have it backward. I think the key to gradinaruvasile (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=589640)'s advice, is that the images should be of the same res as the monitor on which it is being displayed. if it is smaller, then you will get more than 2 tiles (Left and Right) or if it is larger, it will crop (or scale, I forget). you could try changing the image res in gimp.

as I stated .. i'm not using the default supplied backgrounds .. but ones of my g/f ... but i am unsure if they will re-size properly .. not to mention that each monitor is a diff. resolution ...

so that may/will not work either .... i'm thinking that that is ne of the only good thing about windows and dual monitors ...

<sigh>

doas777
June 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
as I stated .. i'm not using the default supplied backgrounds .. but ones of my g/f ... but i am unsure if they will re-size properly .. not to mention that each monitor is a diff. resolution ...

so that may/will not work either .... i'm thinking that that is ne of the only good thing about windows and dual monitors ...

<sigh>

really? I was always told that having both screens at the same res was prerequisite to getting twinview working. glad they changed that. how is it working out for you, aside from the image centering issue?