PDA

View Full Version : I just realised why Ubuntu is the best!!

ade234uk
June 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Over here at my girlfriends. Using Windows XP and tried opening a.pdf file from a website, which opens inside Firefox.

Browser totally crashed trying to load .pdf, unable to close browser, no response.

Clicked X 20 times to try and close Window. Still not closing.

Hard Disk thrashing away. And after some time.....

Now 20 windows have opened asking if I want to end the programme. YES YES YES YES YES and so on.....

Icons dissapeared from Desktop for about 20 secs.

Now they have appeared again, and now Windows says it has recovered from a serious error lol.

Suddenly:-
HP wants me to update the software.
Adobe wants access to my machine, so it can update to the latest version of Acrobat.
Now AVG is out of date and needs updating.

=============
Now I have been using Ubuntu for 7 months, and everytime I open a .pdf inside Firefox it loads first time, everytime, and I get none of these stupid update my software notifications.

This is why I love Ubuntu!!

Screwdriver0815
June 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
yes, its the absence of user-annoyance which makes Linux superior.

But I am sure, there will be some Windows fanboys appear in your thread soon who explain why all this, what you experienced is right and okay and that it is all your fault ;) :D

PuddingKnife
June 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I didnt realize there were Windows fanboys in this forum .. ?

I just thought some folks were tired of the childish "M$" and "Winblows" etc comments that make US look like .. well, childish Linux fanboys.

Ehh .. to each their own.

I love Ubuntu.

Sand & Mercury
June 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM

But I am sure, there will be some Windows fanboys appear in your thread soon who explain why all this, what you experienced is right and okay and that it is all your fault ;) :D
I use windows and have never had any of these kinds of problems. Not blaming windows, not blaming the user... the problem lies in these programs that are insistent on this thing where the program decides how and when it's going to act instead of the user.

Thankfully there are far less programs available for Linux that include this kind of behaviour.

Still, though, if you're on Windows, and you're wise about what programs you install, you'll be in for a lovely nag-free experience.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Suddenly:-
HP wants me to update the software.
Adobe wants access to my machine, so it can update to the latest version of Acrobat.
Now AVG is out of date and needs updating.

sounds like your g/f's fault for not updating.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM

if i would have read this first, i wouldn't have posted. spot on.

TBOL3
June 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Umm, not to appear as 'the windows fanboy' mentioned above, but this sort of thing happens to me on Linux to. I got to a webpage, and firefox freezes up. Usually it will just die, and I can restart it, but occasionally, it won't, and I eventually have to reboot (yes, I know that if I knew more about the places where linux stores it's files, I wouldn't, but I don't).

And also, sometimes the whole OS will just lock up.

Therion
June 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
What you experienced is right, okay and pretty much all your fault.

/Do NOT make me tell you I'm kidding...

swoll1980
June 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I didnt realize there were Windows fanboys in this forum .. ?

I just thought some folks were tired of the childish "M$" and "Winblows" etc comments that make US look like .. well, childish Linux fanboys.

The funny thing about this forum is: If you say you hate Linux people will ask you what went wrong, and help you fix it. If you say you hate Microsoft they will call you a childish Windows basher. Why the double standard? On a Linux forum, why is it more "ok" to bash Linux than Windows?

MysteriousKnight
June 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Over here at my girlfriends. Using Windows XP and ...!

Why don u get ur gf to swap to Ubuntu? lol

adrianx
June 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
The funny thing about this forum is: If you say you hate Linux people will ask you what went wrong, and help you fix it. If you say you hate Microsoft they will call you a childish Windows basher. Why the double standard? On a Linux forum, why is it more "ok" to bash Linux than Windows?
I'm noticing it too. It is almost as if being "anti-Windows bashing" is the latest trend... :D :D

Sand & Mercury
June 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Because most of the Windows bashing on this forum is entirely baseless?

.Maleficus.
June 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm noticing it too. It is almost as if being "anti-Windows bashing" is the latest trend... :D :D
Trend? No. People realizing that bashing Windows on a Linux forum accomplishes nothing? Yes.

swoll1980
June 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Trend? No. People realizing that bashing Windows on a Linux forum accomplishes nothing? Yes.

I don't think people are realizing anything. Just being the sheep following the Shepard. That would be the definition of a trend.

adrianx
June 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I spend way too much time reading documents at groklaw.net (and many other sites). Actually, I have beter things to do.
IMO, a lot of peoples' arguments for MS are totally baseless....

rookcifer
June 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM

:lolflag:

pookiebear
June 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I have linux, bsd, and windows running. Plus a vm of open solaris. This happens in all of them.

The newer version on adobe PDF is Bloated bad.

try pdf x-change. from tracker software. Opens all the pdf versions. Integrates with the browser and is 10 times faster. Doesn't annoy you with adobe downloader updates. http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/ its for windows.

PuddingKnife
June 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Criticism of Microsoft and Windows = good. Same goes for Linux. Ad hominem style attacks on either = childish.

I am not following a trend, nor seeking approval from others when I wag my finger at the silly "M$ Winblows" comments. I choose to use Linux over buying a license to use Microsoft products and that works for me.

I dont hold a grudge against Microsoft or its operating system. I simply made a choice not to use their products if I dont have to and that works for me.

mamamia88
June 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
same thing here man i hate when i have to use windows on my parents machine it's just so annoying when the things and dont' say it's user fault i did a fresh install for them of xp less than a month ago

Ozor Mox
June 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM

I have to say, one of my biggest annoyances with Windows was how it was so weak when it came to shutting down programs with the task manager, or when you tried to shut down the OS with programs open.

Windows: Excuse me? I'm terribly sorry to bother you but would you mind just closing down...I mean, t-there's no hurry. Just when you have a moment it...
App: Sod off!

Linux: DIE APP, DIE, DIE, DIE!
App: Ow!

Linux definitely has more balls! :D

y6FgBn)~v
June 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
The one thing this forum has in abundance, opinions. ;)

HappyFeet
June 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
IMO, a lot of peoples' arguments for MS are totally baseless....

Agreed.

irv
June 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 running on my laptop. When I boot into Windows it take one in a half minutes to boot. Ubuntu takes 37 seconds. And this is from power-on and a 2 second pause to hit the [Enter] key in grub. What OS do you think I use the most?
When shutting down it take about one and half to two minutes to shutdown Windows and less then 20 second to shutdown Ubuntu.

By the way the Bible says don't be equally yoked. How is it a Linux user has a g/f who uses Windows? :p
and the one who has parents using Windows, well this is not choice you are just out of luck. :D

All kidding aside, any OS that is running good is OK but it is still a matter of choice. I like Ubuntu because it just works and it works fast and I have a lot less problems with it.

moe19790
June 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
i`m kinda new to ubuntu BUT i can say ....... I LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.......

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I don't think people are realizing anything. Just being the sheep following the Shepard. That would be the definition of a trend.

My first thought is, what Shepard?

It is natural for people to have different opinions about what OS is the best. I personally don't like seeing anyone bash an operating system because they choose to use something else. If they point out legitimate weaknesses of the OS, that is fine with me. That is information I can use when making a decision on what OS to use.

I personally like to use Ubuntu, and do not like some of the other Linux distros. That is my choice to make. Not everyone would agree with my opinions about other distros. What I dislike may actually be the reason they use one of the other distros.

I am one of those that take "freedom" to the extreme. :D

irv
June 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with Old Grey Wolf. We must be kind to one another, that is the concept of Ubuntu. Humanity for other! I have seen Windows users ask for help out on this forum and I offered help. I have seen on this type of post Ubuntu user make comments like this is a Ubuntu forum what are you doing asking Window question. Are we not here to help one another no matter what OS we use. By being kind we might show a Windows users we are willing and able to help when ever we can. Before I came to be a Ubuntu use, I used Windows for many years, and I wished I would have had a forum like this to turn too.

koleoptero
June 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Get your girlfriend to use ubuntu, or get yourself another girlfriend. :p

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
i agree with old grey wolf. We must be kind to one another, that is the concept of ubuntu. Humanity for other! I have seen windows users ask for help out on this forum and i offered help. I have seen on this type of post ubuntu user make comments like this is a ubuntu forum what are you doing asking window question. Are we not here to help one another no matter what os we use. By being kind we might show a windows users we are willing and able to help when ever we can. Before i came to be a ubuntu use, i used windows for many years, and i wished i would have had a forum like this to turn too.

+1

I agree with your addition to what I said about freedom.

When I first started to try a Linux distro none of them were Ubuntu. The first Linux distro I got working was Ubuntu. That was because the community at that time didn't react negatively to my references to Microsoft Windows. Everyone was helpful, and I got Ubuntu working.

Glucklich
June 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I like the Windows/Linux beef. "Winblows", never read that one before... that is funny. They had "Linsux", which is pretty funny. "Winblows" definitely sounds like a proper comeback.

Amilo1718
June 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Linux definitely has more balls! :D
that's why you love Ubuntu?
cuz it has more balls?
mmmm... :p

i realised ubuntu was the best, when i booted in a quarter of the time other OS'es did and when my web connection gave me more bandwith & speed

Screwdriver0815
June 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
partially nice, partially funny reactions... and surprise: no "its all your fault, Windows is great"

*thumbs up*

when someone posts something about a real fault, issue, whatever in a system (no matter which system) which truly exists and which annoys him... and short after that someone else pops up and tells the person that he has never experienced such a fault and that therefore it must be the fault of the one who was annoyed...
this I can't stand.

Because: when the person, who reports the annoyance is annoyed, then it is like that. The person is annoyed. And such issues always pop up in windows. When someone tells the opposite, he is simply lying.

Moreover I can not stand windows defenders in a Linuxforum. This makes me sick.

Senseless bashing is also stupid in my eyes. But when there is something which is true (and the issue, OP mentioned truly exists and does not exist in Linux) and this will be rated as senseless windows-bashing... its childish, isn't it?

Thats why I have posted my post like it is.

but additionally, what I also feel strange about is when in return someone else posts an issue in Linux, which maybe has nothing to do with the starting issue.

Linux people are strange... bashing their own system ("oh my god we don't have any drivers and no codecs... Linux is immature and needs another 100 years to be ready for the desktop... its a disgrace") and praise windows ("windows 7 is great, its fast and stable and looks nice and I like it a lot... what? when this issue annoys you its your fault... its your fault, you did no update... xp is much faster than any Linux... I never had such an issue and so its your fault... I never got any virus, if you got one, then its your fault...windows is great, you also can have photoshop on it while Linux is really bad without photoshop")...

:popcorn:

:D

swoll1980
June 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
My first thought is, what Shepard?

Don't know. I think it used to be LaRoza, who with one thread had half the forum using an imaginary letter to represent the "th" sound. I'm not sure who it is now, as I have little interest in being led. A little while ago, no one complained about Window bashing, now a bunch of people do. Someone started it, and the rest followed obviously. You can't possibly be suggesting that all these people had some kind of collective epiphany about Windows bashing at the same time. That would be laughable, and you are far to intelligent to believe it.

Sealbhach
June 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Moreover I can not stand windows defenders in a Linuxforum. This makes me sick.

Genau. Stimmt.

+1000.

kc3
June 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Well, I don't know if I say most would be baseless, even if something is somewhat their fault (like not updating) I don't think random crashes should be acceptable even on software that's not up to date, still, idk, I'm not a Windows basher either but I think there's plenty of reasons to go for Linux over Windows, by far