PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone recommendation

abhiroopb
June 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm in the market for a new phone/plan in Singapore.

I was wondering if any phones could be suggested. This is the providers site.

I have NO idea what phone is good and what isn't. Price isn't an issue (yet!). I want to find one that is right for me, and then look at similar phones.

Anyway the phones available are at this website:
https://secure.starhub.com/shop/jfn?mfunc=106&octx=51&jfnRC=3

abhiroopb
June 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
bump

Gucko
June 16th, 2009, 11:35 PM
How can we know your needs?!

abhiroopb
June 16th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Well to start with I just want to know which phones are new in the market, and which one's are considered "good"...i.e. which ones have got good reviews.

I'm not looking for a smart phone, specificially, but I do currently use my Nokia N95 to check e-mail, so I wouldn't mind a phone with a qwerty keypad.

However, the most important thing for me is that the phone should be solid, and the software should work!

The N95 is a peice of junk (IMHO). The paint has peeled of (so I can't even read the numbers), the software frequently stalls (just to open up the contacts list takes at least 10-20s), and it randomly switches of.

I agree this may be the firmware, but in general I just find the phone "clunky". I had the sony ericcson w850i before this and it was a great solid phone.

So, my most important features need to be: ability to call, ability to text, check gmail.

Obviously all phones do the first two, but on the N95, texting is SUCH a headache as it takes forever for the inbox to open and menus to respond. So, I want something that is smooth and easy to use.

I would prefer something with a symbian operating system as I have many apps.

Finally, like I said something that does e-mail well would be useful, but I don't want a heavy duty smart phone (e.g. iPhone, Palm Pre, Blackberry, etc.)

So, any suggestions along these lines?