PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] need help adding Ubuntu Studio to XP and Hardy set up - for audio work

pedrocortez
June 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hi , all - first post here.....

I have a dual boot P4 ( 1.8 ) with XP and Ubuntu Hardy - I'm completely converted to Linux and Ubuntu and trying to convert the rest of my family away from XP to various incarnations of Linux ( including Puppy on the 2 laptops we have ) . Ive been using Linux routinely for about 6 months and love it.

However, my real love is playing and recording music - which is why I kept my XP set up as I can run Cubase and loads of audio recording and editing apps.

Ive built a great Ubuntu Hardy set up which is fantastic for everything apart from my recording hobby. Ive been trying to learn Ardour and get ZynAddsubfx up and running and I'm getting there slowly , but I want to set up an install of Ubuntu Studio as a third boot option so that I dont muck up my Hardy set up.

I need some guidance on checking my partitioning and using the free space I have on my 250GB HD to install Ubuntu Studio. When i installed Hardy alongsie XP I didnt use all of the available HD space between the 2 OS's so I know there is plenty there - just not sure how to go about it without overwriting something , or doing something silly which I will regret.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ?

Anyone else here making the transition from Windows digital recording to Ubuntu studio ??

All help much appreciated.

Rgds
Pete

zvacet
June 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
You will follow same procedure as you did when you installed Ubuntu after Windows.Other option is to download Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) and see how much free space you have.With Gparted you can create new partitiond on witch you will install ubuntu studio.