PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing KDE - Will it upgrade apps?

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi all

This is something I can't seem to find anywhere. I am on gnome at present and want to try the new KDE, but I actually run Amarok 1.4. If I were to install the Kubuntu-Desktop package, would it attempt to upgrade me to Amarok 2?

Obviously I am happy to goto Amarok 2 in the future when they add some of the features that I need, but right now I need 1.4.

I guess I could just remove 2 and re-install 1.4 if absolutely necessary, but I would rather not have to.

Cheers

briguy47
June 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Hi all

This is something I can't seem to find anywhere. I am on gnome at present and want to try the new KDE, but I actually run Amarok 1.4. If I were to install the Kubuntu-Desktop package, would it attempt to upgrade me to Amarok 2?

Obviously I am happy to goto Amarok 2 in the future when they add some of the features that I need, but right now I need 1.4.

I guess I could just remove 2 and re-install 1.4 if absolutely necessary, but I would rather not have to.

Cheers

I just went into Synaptic and selected the Kubuntu-Desktop metapackage. One of it's dependencies is Amarok, which in the updated repositories is the updated 2.0.2 version. However, I then unmarked Amarok and Amarok-common and it didn't require me to unmark any of the packages installed with Kubuntu-Desktop.

So, based on that, I think you can select Kubuntu-desktop and just unselect Amarok and be okay. I don't know for sure though, because I didn't go through with the install all the way, but it looks pretty safe.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks - I didn't think about doing it that way in Synaptic - Will give it a try later :)

briguy47
June 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Sweet. Post how it goes, if you don't mind. I'm curious to know. Good Luck! :)

uberlube
June 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I ran into issues installing a second DE ontop of the one i was using, but that was back in 2007 so hopefully its been improved. Hope it works out for you!

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Ok - It seemed to go ok, I deselected Amarok 1.4 and it left it alone (thankfully).

That said, my desktop is blank and I am unable to right click on it anywhere. I have tried looking through as many settings as I can find through the menus, nothing doing.

Any ideas?

briguy47
June 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Are you in KDE now? If you are and can get to a terminal or if there is a run command option (sorry, I don't have too much experience in KDE) then try to run:

kdewmand see if that helps. I know I've had a similar situation in Gnome and reloading Nautilus helped.

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
lol - typically I refreshed this page, then decided to head back to gnome. I will try that later as I need to head out now... Sunday is giant steak day :D

Thanks for the help, will update more when I get back

briguy47
June 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Giant Steak! Who can resist that?! lol

Also, I just found a page saying that explicitly setting KDE as the environment from the login screen (as opposed to "Default") might also help. :)

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hi again

Steaks downed, now time to investigate the issue -

Got to a terminal (all menus/applications are fine) ran kdewm and nothing - Command not found.

Incidentally, I am using Compiz as I like wobbly windows (go figure)

Any other ideas? I am looking around aswell..

Thanks

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Sorted it - Had to go to the Desktop Settings and change it from Desktop to Folder view - Then underneath that, I had to specify Desktop in the Name field.

Then all my icons sprung into life - Now I just need to shrink them from the default mahoosive setting.

briguy47
June 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Glad you got it figured out!

BTW: Nice specs! *drools*

PureLoneWolf
June 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks..as I don't game these days they are quite modest really :)

I had other issues though, but created a new thread if you are interested..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1187468