PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading Intrepid to Jaunty

lotster
June 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hi! I'm running intrepid at the moment, but I already ordered my Jaunty CD from Canonical. However, then I heard that I need another disc in order to do an upgrade.

Since I don't really want to format (though I will if I have to), and I don't want to download another disc's ISO, I was thinking of upgrading through the Update Manager. However, due to limited internet bandwidth, I was wondering if someone could please confirm how much information will be downloaded from the internet? Altrenatively, is there a way for me to upgrade using the normal 9.04 CD when it arrives?

expelledboy
June 14th, 2009, 11:47 PM
You can do a dist-upgrade using the cd when it arrives.

If you want to find out how much will be downloaded for a dist-upgrade run this

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and if you decide it is too much just type in n and hit enter to cancel or ctrl+C to kill the process..

presence1960
June 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I would recommend a clean install. The reason being that as I read the forums most people complaining about Jaunty are people who have done an upgrade rather than a clean install. For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of problems with the upgrade process to Jaunty.

raymondh
June 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
i would recommend a clean install. The reason being that as i read the forums most people complaining about jaunty are people who have done an upgrade rather than a clean install. For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of problems with the upgrade process to jaunty.

+1 ... also, run a live session first to see how the distro reacts to your machine (wifi, sound, keypad, F keys, etc)

expelledboy
June 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I would recommend a clean install. The reason being that as I read the forums most people complaining about Jaunty are people who have done an upgrade rather than a clean install. For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of problems with the upgrade process to Jaunty.

heh.. I wouldnt know. I always do a clean install. ;)

lotster
June 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks, everyone. I will rather do a clean install then. However, here I need some help again...

I'm dual-booting XP and Ubuntu (two different drives). How do I go about doing the clean install? Do I just boot to the disc and point it the partitioner to the correct drive? Does it sort out all the GRUB-related things automatically? Or will I be stuck with a non-working "Ubuntu 8.10" option in my boot menu?

presence1960
June 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks, everyone. I will rather do a clean install then. However, here I need some help again...

I'm dual-booting XP and Ubuntu (two different drives). How do I go about doing the clean install? Do I just boot to the disc and point it the partitioner to the correct drive? Does it sort out all the GRUB-related things automatically? Or will I be stuck with a non-working "Ubuntu 8.10" option in my boot menu?

When you get to the Prepare disk space window of the partitioner choose "manual" option and highlight the disk/partition you want Ubuntu to install to. Then set all the parameters ( partition type, use as [filesystem] and mountpoint [/] for root). The only thing you may have to edit with GRUB is your windows entry, but that is a cinch.

lotster
June 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thank you all very much! I think I'll be okay with it now...