PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, Fedora and Qt-based apps

MikeTheC
June 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hey folks:

I have just re-re-re-re-re-re-re-(er, something like that) nuked my PC, got rid of Seven and reinstalled Vista on it. I'm going to also have Linux on it as well. However...

I was told this, I saw it previously in OpenSuSE, Fedora 10 and the Fedora 11 pre-release, and then I saw it again in Fedora 11, and what I saw was Qt-based applications, such as Scribus, run faster and more stably (user interface seems to have fewer glitches/quirks) than when I run Scribus in Ubuntu.

I'm told the reason for it is that they're running off a different release or compile or something of Qt, and so what I wanted to know, since honestly I otherwise prefer Ubuntu, is is there a way to make use of the better Qt libs in Ubuntu for the benefit of Qt-based apps?

Or, is there some other solution you can think of?

At this point, all I have outside the Vista NTFS partition is unallocated free space. I can go either way at this point. I'd simply prefer to use Ubuntu, since it offers a better user experience overall.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I would second that question as I have recently discovered the world of QT and its gloryness.

ghindo
June 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Do you know which versions of Qt you're comparing? This could be a case of Fedora/OpenSuse using a newer Qt release versus an older Qt release on Ubuntu?

cherva
June 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Did Fedora and OpenSuse use KDE, because KDE is written in QT and when you run a QT app in gnome first your PC has to load the QT libraries. Maybe this is the thing that makes you thing they work faster... If you think so you can install kubuntu ( ubuntu with KDE ) and test the speed.

MikeTheC
June 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Do you know which versions of Qt you're comparing?
Well, I've tried looking this up online but I can't really find anything specific. I know that it used Qt 4.5, and I also know from previous experience that Qt 4.5 is also in the repos for Ubuntu.

This leaves a couple possibilities in my mind.

1. There is a difference in the exact version of Qt used by Ubuntu and Fedora
2. Ubuntu, which doesn't seem to nominally install Qt 4.5, doesn't use a version of the Qt apps which actually make use of Qt 4.5

Now, to be honest, I haven't a clue how you'd find out either of those things, or, if it is something else, then how you'd approach finding that out.

Did Fedora and OpenSuse use KDE, because KDE is written in QT and when you run a QT app in gnome first your PC has to load the QT libraries.
Nope, I was running this all in Gnome on Fedora, just as I do in Ubuntu.

So, at the moment, I'm up a creek without a paddle. Do you guys (or anyone else here on UF) have any further thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed, or if this is even a resolvable situation?

Simian Man
June 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I've also noticed what you're talking about, but don't have an answer for you. QT and KDE are moving fairly fast; perhaps Ubuntu just isn't keeping up as well.