PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 3D Logo

vboblinux
June 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I created a 3D Model of the ubuntu logo in open source blender and I want to share it with the community so people can create easier wallpapers, artworks, videos, etc and spread ubuntu.
I was just thinking that it could be easier if the logo was in 3D so with just a rendering inside blender in appropriate angle you could continue creating your art in i.e. gimp (for people that they are not familiar with 3D modeling) :-)
I kept the 3D scene simple so you don't have to do anything complicated. Just move the camera around using the keys
"g" = Grab
"r" = Rotate
and hit F12 in your keyboard to Render a Full HD *.png image (1920X1080). :-)
You can also make the camera Fly around.
Hit (in the numeric keyboard) the key Zero "0" to see through camera and then hit shift-F and move your mouse wheel and the mouse itself to fly around the scene. When you set the camera in the position you want, hit enter. Then you can Render.

Here you can see what is inside the 3D Scene I give you (the 3D logo)

http://madseeds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2388&d=1243455667

http://madseeds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2390&d=1243456482

Here is a Full HD Wallpaper that I created with the 3D Logo (this was edited in Gimp using the rendering output *.png file of the above 3D Logo) :-)

Here is the *.blend file to download it. :-)
Vag_Madseeds_Linux_Ubuntu_Logo_0014.blend.rar (http://madseeds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2421&d=1244957405) (68.9 KB)

I hope you like it. :-)

swoll1980
June 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Good job! The second one is sweet looking.

MikeTheC
June 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM
@OP:

On the whole, nice job.

However... your positioning is not correct, and neither are your colors. Take a look at the ubuntu logo artwork on this forum for a reference. Also, the ends of the segments (that is, "arms") are parallel with each other, not tapered towards each other.

Oh, as for the word "ubuntu" itself, I don't think that has to be in black. I think extruded white looks really snazzy, too.

Again, good job!

vboblinux
June 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thank you for your posts :-)
Yes, the colors are not exactly the same as the logo.
The 3D mesh is what it matters because the artist can leave his mind free and create anything that he like.
Move them around, play with them, make them fit your scene,.. make anything you wish. :-) Leave your imagination free. This is just the basic 3D mesh to begin creating, to improve, to share (that's the spirit)...:-) :-) :-)

It is so easy to change the colors inside blender though.
Just select the mesh of the ubuntu logo (not the text) inside blender using right click and press the buttons to go to the appropriate menu (F9). Then change the colors as you like (you can even type the exact RGB Code for each color (does anyone know the exact RGB codes of each color of the ubuntu logo? Please share to update the Colors in the 3D Mesh). You can do anything you want
Take a look at the following screenshots to see how easy it is to change the colors of the 3D logo:

BlazeFire247
June 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Good job! The second one is sweet looking.

I agree! Nice job!

binbash
June 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Not a bad one ;)

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Holy Moly that is amazing.

Darkaiser
June 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
wow!...nice work...interesting