PDA

View Full Version : the crappy keyboard thread

Regenweald
June 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
note the lack of initial caps in my title and to start the post ? That would be due to the stock keyboard provided to me by dell for my inspiron 531. i even have to apply extra pressure to simply add a smiley. It's not that i don't like or ignore proper punctuation, my keyboard just has different view on the matter ;)

i would probably hurt one of you for a wrist rest....

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 02:04 AM
note the lack of initial caps in my title and to start the post ? That would be due to the stock keyboard provided to me by dell for my inspiron 531. i even have to apply extra pressure to simply add a smiley. It's not that i don't like or ignore proper punctuation, my keyboard just has different view on the matter ;)

What's wrong with your keyboard? I bought a generic $7.00 keyboard and the only thing that bothers me is the insane clicking that the spacebar makes when I hit it.

Tipped OuT
June 14th, 2009, 02:06 AM

You can get a new keyboard on eBay for 99 cents. :p

CharmyBee
June 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Every new keyboard i've had this decade never lasted me more than a year. That's saying something....

Tipped OuT
June 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Every new keyboard i've had this decade never lasted me more than a year. That's saying something....

I never really owned a dekstop long enough to really say if that's true, but my laptop's keyboard that's about 5 years old, still works like a charm. :)

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Like you need to find a new location to eat? (Just kidding. ;))

I agree, though. Keyboards break very easily, which is why I decided to get this very cheap, expendable, standard $7.00 keyboard. It was surprisingly hard to find. They don't make many keyboards without extra buttons nowadays. Before this one I have a Zboard, which broke several times, and now it missing functionality in its Super, Control, Alt (both sides) and several F keys.

speedwell68
June 14th, 2009, 03:00 AM
The keyboard supplied by Acer with my current desktop is utter rubbish, the keys are clunky and slow to respond, the keyboard supplied with my HP desktop is much better, but still crap.

I have replaced my Acer keyboard with a 'Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000' keyboard. It is fantastic, it only cost £15. It has a great feel, allows me to be more accurate. The keys are responsive and it has a load of extra function buttons which all work out of the box in Ubuntu. Say what you like about Microsoft, but they make great keyboards and mice.

nowin4me
June 14th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I am using a keyboard from 1996. It works fine (apart from that it has one key missing) but makes alot of noise compared to the newer ones and it has been know to keep people up at night.

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I am using a keyboard from 1996. It works fine (apart from that it has one key missing) but makes alot of noise compared to the newer ones and it has been know to keep people up at night.

One of those tactile keyboards? I've always wondered what those feel like.

nowin4me
June 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
One of those tactile keyboards? I've always wondered what those feel like.

Yeah I think so. They feel awful compared to the new ones (I had a newer one but it broke.) BUT the one I am using works.

kernelhaxor
June 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I tried a lot of keyboards until I found the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard .. been using it since the last two years and IMO the best keyboard I've ever used

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Yeah I think so. They feel awful compared to the new ones (I had a newer one but it broke. BUT it works.

Really? I always heard they felt better. There are even sites where they sell them, and they're priced at like over $100. I guess it's all preference. I do like the feel of laptop keyboards, though. I almost bought a laptop-like keyboard for my desktop because of it. But the price warded me off (I'm so cheap :)).

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 03:14 AM
ergonomic keyboard

I know that those are supposed to make typing easier, but I've always had a problem with them. I can't type correctly on them, they're just weird.

Regenweald
June 14th, 2009, 03:25 AM
What's wrong with your keyboard? I bought a generic $7.00 keyboard and the only thing that bothers me is the insane clicking that the spacebar makes when I hit it.

It's a dell stamped original, and one of it's hobbies is ignoring me when i press keys. as for a new keyb, i live in the caribbean and the local retailers have a habit of importing the absolute cheapest tech and selling at an unacceptable premium for me ( my lite-on burner although at a decent price was pulled out of a box filled with his twin brothers and sisters and handed to me in bubblewrap) I simply know better. people are still building sempron machines for 5000+ dollars. a decent mid range logitech could run me 250+ dollars.

So generally i import my own hardware, which is a hassle for just a keyb.